How to fix bootloader?

2 posts in this topic

Hi

By mistake, Ive installed Chameleon bootloader on my Imac with 10.5.7 (thought this will only unpack it somewhere, not replace original one). Right now system is not booting. I`ve tried to boot from installation disk to fix it by using disk utilities, but it can not repair loader.

Is there any chance to fix it without reinstalling whole system and loosing all data?

I`ve found some tutorials on google, but it seems that they`re not working for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

By mistake, Ive installed Chameleon bootloader on my Imac with 10.5.7 (thought this will only unpack it somewhere, not replace original one). Right now system is not booting. I`ve tried to boot from installation disk to fix it by using disk utilities, but it can not repair loader.

Is there any chance to fix it without reinstalling whole system and loosing all data?

I`ve found some tutorials on google, but it seems that they`re not working for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

boot from the dvd and enter terminal

type diskutil list

find the disk number of the drive in question disk0 or disk1

next type

fdisk -e /dev/disk then the number like disk0 or disk1

example

fdisk -e /dev/disk0

next if you have partitioned your hard drive we need to know what partition OSX is on. 1,2,3,4,5,6 or whereever

type this one you know

flag partition number

example

if mine is one partition 1 i would type

flag 1

if it asks you to say yes during the next few steps say yes

type

update

write

exit

reboot and done