How to Install Buffalo 802.11G USB

Arminius

9 posts in this topic

Note: The reason this is such an elaborate process is because Buffalo has a neat feature in this card that will auto-install WINDOWS DRIVERS if you insert it into a windows computer that has no drivers on the card. This is a magical trevor kickass feature, and I love it to pieces. Now, there are some people saying that this may cause some strangeness with the Mac trying to mount the install partition on the drive after full driver installation - but I haven't felt it yet. All features work 100% - WEP, all of it. The card works beautifully, will be testing Kismac later this evening (for kicks).

Okay, so here are the instructions to get the BuffaloTech WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB Adaptor working.

First, Install this driver (Link to the RAlink driver download). This is the standard RAlink driver & utility. When Prompted To Enter Password - Change User To Root and enter Root Password

Second, open a terminal and become root (THIS IS CRITICAL).

su <enter>
Password: ENTER YOUR PASSWORD

You will then need to change your directory to the Contents of RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

cd /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/

You have to change "Info.plist". The best way to do this is to simply copy the file to your desktop, open it with Textedit, and then move it back once we have changed it. To do that:

cp Info.plist /Users/USERNAME/Desktop
[/quote
And then simply open with Text Edit.  

In text edit, add the following lines after the SMC adapter (the bottem driver entry before the IOUSB doodle)

[CODE]<key>Buffalo</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>bcdDevice</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>103</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1041</integer>
</dict>

Save, and now back to your terminal to move the modified Info.plist over.

mv /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Info.plist /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Reboot.

After reboot, login normally. After everything has loaded - insert the USB Device.

Hmm, dosn't work for me, followed your steps and nothing happend....can you give me a hint.

Steps i have done:

1. I installed the Driver

2. I boought the buffalo USB Dongle

3. I patched the file like you wrote

4. I rebooted

5. Nothing happens :-(

Any Ideas?

Did you know if there are differences of the Buffalo Dongle from US or Europe?!?

Thanks

Torsten

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1. Download RT2500 Mac OS X driver released in 11/2005! Buffalo wireless dongle already listed in info.plist

the idPRODUCT should be "102" instead of "103"

2. Download USB plug and unplug kext from http://mitglied.lycos.de/thomsmac/RT2500Replug.html

3. Rebot and the wireless USB utility comes out as soon as you login !

Please make sure you do all these step with root user

not sudo but log in with "root" account

Since I FINALLY finished the setting with the Buffalo dongle.

Cheers~

• 1 year later...