ATI Radeon 9600 Pro AGP

Mike123789098765

3 posts in this topic

To anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction I have an IBM NetVista 8303-81U running iDeneb 10.5.6. with the Voodoo kernel. I have managed to get pretty much all of my hardware working properly. This IBM has an 845G chipset with integrated graphics. The integrated graphics surprisingly work however they were causing a big performance hit so I upgraded to an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 128MB of VRAM that I had lying around. The card seems to work however I am stuck at 1024x768@60Hz. There is no hardware acceleration for CI and Quartz Extreme is not supported. I have tried Callisto however that project appears to be discontinued and the kext causes a kernel panic. Anyhow I have also installed AGPGart with no success. Perhaps I need to edit a plist file though I'm not sure. I'm no stranger to OS X or apples in general for that matter, I've been using them and programming on them for years now, however I am fairly new to the hackintosh world and am just now needing to deal with kernel extensions. So if somebody has had success with this card under leopard your advice would be greatly appreciated as well as anybody else who may be able to help. Thanks in advanced for any help, below I have posted my complete configuration.

IBM NetVista 8303-81U

-2.66GHz P4

-1GB DDR Ram

-Intel AC97 Audio

-Intel 845G Chipset w/ integrated graphics

-160GB ATA/133MHz HDD

-IDE DVD±RW DL

-ATI Radeon 9600 Pro AGP 128MB

The 9600 has no drivers in leopard.. so it dont matter if how many injectors you use.. go back to the intergrated even if it is bad it is working and the 9600 wont be able to work.

The 9600 works with a VESA driver so there really no need to go back as I said I'm just lacking CI/QE as well as resolution options. The integrated maxes out at the same res anyway plus eats up my cpu resources so the 9600 is still a better solution than the integrated even if it is lacking all the features. Again this computer is only serving as a server no graphic intensive stuff or video encoding/decoding so I suppose I'll just have to live without CI and QE though it would be nice if those were enabled as an even further performance gain may be yielded. Just to clarify though what exactly makes this card work in Tiger but not in Leopard. I guess what I'm getting at is if it does work in Tiger there must surely be a way to get it to function properly under Leopard unless there was some huge revision to the frameworks/APIs that are responsible for dealing with the graphics card. That isn't to say that I ought to be able to make it work with some existing kext out of the box but one would assume with some degree of modification that it would be possible. I also suppose that it is quite possible that this may never happen as the 9600 isn't exactly new hardware and there probably aren't enough people using it to justify the community either developing a kext or a mod to an existing kext to make it work. Thanks for your reply anyhow.