sleep kills airport (broadcom bcm43xx)

ginopopo

15 posts in this topic

Hi, first, i would like to thank the creator of the bcm43xx_enabler.sh script for making my wireless working in my laptop :)

But i got a small issue with airport and sleep.

When i make my computer go to sleep, everything goes well but then when i wakeup the computer, Airport is disabled and i cannot enable it. Clicking on "enable airport" just does nothing. even rerunning the bcm43xx_enabler.sh script in terminal does nothing. Seems like I absolutely need to reboot, then i get airport working right again.

i searched a lot on a couple of forums about this but found nothing to fix it. Thats why i gave up and posted here

I hope someone has a solution, because this is the last thing to fix before i have a 100% working macbook (or Hackbook...).

please help me! thanks in advance

Computer: Acer Extensa 4620-4963

wifi card: Broadcom BCM43xx (sorry, not sure about the EXACT model, but it begins with BCM43)

OSX: Ideneb 1.3 (10.5.5) updated to 1.4 (10.5.6) with ideneb update kit rev1

Installed all recent apple updates (airport, security etc.)

• 5 weeks later...

hi

i have the same problem but even rebooting doesn't activate the wireless. was all working fine until the machine went to sleep. have tried everything i can think of.

did you find a solution to this?

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i got the similar card. the problem solved. here is what i did.

My card is from Extensa 4620z bcm4312 but detected as bcm4315.

Open OSx86tools and install this kext below.

Restart with -f.

testing:

put the laptop to sleep. wake it up again. the airport turn off and cannot be turned on again by icon. BUT when i tried to switch the wireless toggle at the front of the laptop ( for your laptop maybe Fn+F2 or whatever). and then i click turn on the airport on the icon again. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after many test. sometime i dun even have to turn the airport back on. it turned on automatically. and of course sometime you have to turn it back on manually.

This IO80211Family.kext is 10.5.7 stock, but the plugin AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in to Contents is from 10.5.2.

For what is the change ?

Status Led and AirPort Menu are working fine with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext of 10.5.2

I hope someone has a solution, because this is the last thing to fix before i have a 100% working macbook (or Hackbook...).

how do you get ur laptop 100% working?? My card reader and Acer Crystal Eye doesn't work. Would be glad if you point out how to get it work for me. thanks.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

@susisiusi103

OMG it works! you're the man!

Thanks a lot.

And about my first post saying i would have a 100% working laptop...

well it is 100% working for my needs, i dont have working card reader and orbicam. sorry.

Restart with -f.

testing:

put the laptop to sleep. wake it up again. the airport turn off and cannot be turned on again by icon. BUT when i tried to switch the wireless toggle at the front of the laptop ( for your laptop maybe Fn+F2 or whatever). and then i click turn on the airport on the icon again. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after many test. sometime i dun even have to turn the airport back on. it turned on automatically. and of course sometime you have to turn it back on manually.

This IO80211Family.kext is 10.5.7 stock, but the plugin AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in to Contents is from 10.5.2.

For what is the change ?

Status Led and AirPort Menu are working fine with AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext of 10.5.2

how do you get ur laptop 100% working?? My card reader and Acer Crystal Eye doesn't work. Would be glad if you point out how to get it work for me. thanks.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Is there any other possibility to upload the file once again? I get an error while downloading it.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone come across the same symptom with 10.6.2? My card is a BCM4312, the lspci listing is:

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:137d]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Memory at d0100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>

Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] #14e4

The card works fine with the stock AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext (with the added 4315 ID), except it won't wake up after sleep and the status LED doesn't work.

When I tried the IO80211family.kext posted above, the LED did light up but the OS didn't seem to recognize it.

I even borrowed a stock Apple Airport Extreme card (607-1389-A with Broadcom 4321), the symptom was the same! i.e. no LED, didn't wake up but otherwise connected and worked fine on both 802.11g and n.

Any idea? My netbook is close to 100% perfect with 10.6.2 (thanks to the great tools by Meklort and mechdrew), just this one thing.

Does anyone come across the same symptom with 10.6.2? My card is a BCM4312, the lspci listing is:

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:137d]

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Memory at d0100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>

Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] #14e4

The card works fine with the stock AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext (with the added 4315 ID), except it won't wake up after sleep and the status LED doesn't work.

When I tried the IO80211family.kext posted above, the LED did light up but the OS didn't seem to recognize it.

I even borrowed a stock Apple Airport Extreme card (607-1389-A with Broadcom 4321), the symptom was the same! i.e. no LED, didn't wake up but otherwise connected and worked fine on both 802.11g and n.

Any idea? My netbook is close to 100% perfect with 10.6.2 (thanks to the great tools by Meklort and mechdrew), just this one thing.

Well, I finally used the "tape to mask pin 20" trick to solve the sleep problem. Now it can wake up with a working wifi.

LED doesn't work though.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, for me covering pin 13 on a mini-pci (not express) was the only way to get it turned on. BUT after sleep it is disabled, same under current ubuntu linux.... now after getting my gma915 backlight recognized after sleep this is the last step to a perfect leopard install on my notebook (fujitsu siemens p7020 subnotebook), any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, can you please email me the file (IO80211Family.kext.zip) or give me a link out from the insanelymac please? the portal doesn't work the link to download the file...

thank you

Restart with -f.

testing:

For what is the change ?

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Is there any other possibility to upload the file once again? I get an error while downloading it.

did you get the chance to have this file ? can you send it to me? IO80211Family.kext.zip

thank you

how did you get the wireless to work at all? I have tried the installer script, i have tried 3 different kext's, and i checked the broadcom driver box when installing iPC. and yet it still won't work for me. This is my first time using mac.. and well, its not very fun so far.