kext installation

flackend

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm trying to install kext files, but whenever I try to delete the Extensions.mkext file it is automatically replaced. Even when I delete it using the terminal; I get a message when I shut down saying in essence that it's re-creating the file. When I boot into su mode and try to delete it I get a read-only error. Kext Helper doesn't do me any good.

It may be possible that the new kext is simply no good.

Also, is it necessary to delete the Extensions.mkext file if your replacing an old kext with a new one? And why is it necessary to repair permissions for the disk each time?

Dell Inspiron 1525 -- Intel

OS X 10.5.6 (iATKOS i5)

Hi, I'm trying to install kext files, but whenever I try to delete the Extensions.mkext file it is automatically replaced. Even when I delete it using the terminal; I get a message when I shut down saying in essence that it's re-creating the file. When I boot into su mode and try to delete it I get a read-only error. Kext Helper doesn't do me any good.

Also, is it necessary to delete the Extensions.mkext file if your replacing an old kext with a new one? And why is it necessary to repair permissions for the disk each time?

OS X 10.5.6 (iATKOS i5)

OS X 10.5.6 (iATKOS i5)

The extensions.mkext file should be re-created whenever you update or modify your system files. You don't need to repair the permissions for the whole disk every time, though. Repairing only those of the files you modified is enough but people (mostly newbs) seem to have problems with entering terminal commands.

Cheers,

hecker