sse2 and install to partition

5 posts in this topic

i am super curious about installing tiger x86 on my machine, but there are two things that are stopping me from doing so.

1. all the install guides say, you need to install it to a physical disc, and not a partition - therefore there is no way for me to install it on my notebook without wiping out windows. why is that so? and are you geek guys working on that issue?

2. i have a pentium m, which means only sse2. i read that rosetta does require sse3 and that means that basically barely any apps are working. is there a remedy in sight for that issue?

I think it's possible on a single partitioned drive...but you'd need a boot loader that loads multiple OSes, i.e., not Windows' or OS X's boot loader (you'd need a Linux bootloader, for example, GRUB or LILO, that is, IF this would even work).

2. i have a pentium m, which means only sse2. i read that rosetta does require sse3 and that means that basically barely any apps are working. is there a remedy in sight for that issue?

There is an idea that has been floating around to solve this problem. Since the darwin kernel is open source, a kernel patch can be created in order to handle the conversion of SSE3 instuctions to their SSE2 equivalents. AFAIK, there has been no effort started to create this fix at this point in time.

could you explain to me why we would be unable to use the bootloader from windows? i know its possible to dual boot darwin and win xp on the same system without any trouble using 2 hard disks, so why couldnt you? what is stopping us from having to hard drives installed one with windows xp, and the other with mac os x with the boot.ini on the win xp pointing to the mac os x drive as darwin?

• 2 weeks later...

i have amd 64 3500+ triple booting suse pro 9.3, windows xp pro, and osx x86, and it is installed natively on second partition, all you have to do is use the built in partitioner in windows...use this link http://www.shuddertrix.90megs.com/wiki/ind...le_And_Accurate

and then add a few lines into your grub .lst file in linux or get the chain0 file in the dev dvd or find it in here and add a line to your windows boot.ini file....boot up very 1st time