Need advice for my possibly dead DS3R

zimagold

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I picked up a used Gigabyte P35 DS3R for my first hackintosh build. Unfortunately, after hooking everything up, I could not get it to power up. Not even a sign of life after pressing the power switch.

I've pulled out the power supply (Enermax 350W) and plugged it into an older system and that booted up fine, so I've ruled out a faulty power supply.

My question is - do you think the power supply is insufficient to power the motherboard? I actually disconnected all peripherals just to see if the board itself could spin the CPU fan, but nothing. And yes, I did plug in the 12V connector.

I'm bummed - I think I got scammed.

Did you buy it new or used? Probably doesn't matter. These boards have always had this problem. Get rid of it if you can. I know I used to have one.

If you can't, what memory are you using? Try switching around the memory in different slots. Try 1 gig or something. I have known 4 people with this board and they have all had that problem one time or another. They have all gotten rid of the board.

Also, try turning off the computer at the main power supply switch and wait 30 minutes. it might come back to life.

A quick search says the EG351P has only 12a on the +12v rail that may be just not enough to power the board. First thing I would do is what I always do that is put the board, one stick of ram and video card out of the case on an anti-static bag connect up power supply then use a screw driver to short the two pins for the front connector power switch and see if this fires it up if it does then you had a short somewhere when you put it the case.

My power supply is EG365P-VE (25A on the +12V line). I did take out the video card, tried with zero, one and two sticks of ram, but no still no go.

Alright, I just took it out of the case and shorted the power pins. Dead as a doornail. Oh well.

My power supply is EG365P-VE (25A on the +12V line). I did take out the video card, tried with zero, one and two sticks of ram, but no still no go.

Alright, I just took it out of the case and shorted the power pins. Dead as a doornail. Oh well.

That sucks what a scumbag sold you a dead board.