Moving a Leopard vm from VMware Fusion 2.0.4 to ESX update 4

2 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 (retail) in VMware Fusion 2.0.4 on my MacBook. I ran the following in Terminal to keep Fusion from preventing my non-server version of Leopard from starting up:

$ sudo bash

# cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages"

# mkdir original

# mv darwin.iso tools-key.pub *.sig original

# perl -n -p -e 's/ServerVersion.plist/SystemVersion.plist/g' < original/darwin.iso > darwin.iso

# openssl genrsa -out tools-priv.pem 2048

# openssl rsa -in tools-priv.pem -pubout -out tools-key.pub

# openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < darwin.iso > darwin.iso.sig

# for A in *.iso ; do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < $A > $A.sig ; done

# exit

VMware Tools has been installed into my virtual machine and it appears to be working like a champ.

I'd like to move this virtual machine over to VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 on my Sun Ultra 24 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz).

Does anyone have any advice on what steps I'll need to take to make this work (other than getting the virtual machine files over to ESX)?

Some things I was considering:

- ESX has a slightly different virtual hardware platform from Fusion but the processor on my Sun Ultra should be OK for Mac OS X.

1. I know I'll need a bootloader on the ESX side. I was wondering whether I should copy darwin.iso along with my vm and set it to be the boot disk in the vm BIOS?

2. Or, should I get a boot 132 ISO and use that as a startup disk?

3. Or, should I install Chameleon 2.0 rc1 into the virtual machine?

4. Or do something completely different?

5. Or stop messing around with this because I'll never get it to work?

Has anyone been successful with one of these methods (or a different one)?

Thanks in advance.

I've successfully installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 (retail) in VMware Fusion 2.0.4 on my MacBook. I ran the following in Terminal to keep Fusion from preventing my non-server version of Leopard from starting up:

$ sudo bash

# cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages"

# mkdir original

# mv darwin.iso tools-key.pub *.sig original

# perl -n -p -e 's/ServerVersion.plist/SystemVersion.plist/g' < original/darwin.iso > darwin.iso

# openssl genrsa -out tools-priv.pem 2048

# openssl rsa -in tools-priv.pem -pubout -out tools-key.pub

# openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < darwin.iso > darwin.iso.sig

# for A in *.iso ; do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < $A > $A.sig ; done

# exit

VMware Tools has been installed into my virtual machine and it appears to be working like a champ.

I'd like to move this virtual machine over to VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 on my Sun Ultra 24 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz).

Does anyone have any advice on what steps I'll need to take to make this work (other than getting the virtual machine files over to ESX)?

Some things I was considering:

- ESX has a slightly different virtual hardware platform from Fusion but the processor on my Sun Ultra should be OK for Mac OS X.

1. I know I'll need a bootloader on the ESX side. I was wondering whether I should copy darwin.iso along with my vm and set it to be the boot disk in the vm BIOS?

2. Or, should I get a boot 132 ISO and use that as a startup disk?

3. Or, should I install Chameleon 2.0 rc1 into the virtual machine?

4. Or do something completely different?

5. Or stop messing around with this because I'll never get it to work?

Has anyone been successful with one of these methods (or a different one)?

Thanks in advance.

As in other thread, do not think it is possible on ESX currently.