GA-G31M-ES2L vs. EP45-DS3L *FIGHT*

19 posts in this topic

GA-G31M-ES2L or EP45-DS3L, which one is the better choice in terms of compatibility regarding a retail install.

I want to build a Hackintosh that will also be my gaming rig (dual-boot win Vista).

Is there anything I have to be aware of like revisions et cetera.

Which board would you prefer? esp. regarding the price....

Both are compatible with OS X.

The EP45-DS3L is slightly more expensive, and it's larger.

The EP45-DS3L supports 8gb RAM, the G31M-ES2L supports 4gb.

The EP45-DS3L has more expansions slots.

which is less a hassle concerning retail install? i think g31 right?

I have the EP35-DS3L and it's is very nice.

However, I'm considering switching it to a G31M-ES2L because of the for factor.

mATX is better for a G4 or G5 case for instance.

In th end it depends of where you'll put it.

Hi,

I'm also interested in these 2 mobos (actually g31m-es2l and p45-ds3 but I think it's very similar to ds3l) and my main concert is picking the most compatible board.

Where have you red about the sleep/reboot problems in the ep45? I've found only this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141324. But it has been completely solved with no patching (in ds3 at least). The problem is that I haven't found much on this board.

Also g31m-es2l has a little sleep problem as you can see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345 It has been solved but using an additional patched kext, but in my mind more patching = more probles. However there are a lot of posts that report successes with this board (also with boot123).

I can't speak to the G31, but I have an EP45-DS3L fully working, sleep and all, with a retail install.

With 8Gb of RAM, it's absolutely the best Mac I've ever used. I would not hesitate to recommend the EP45.

I can't speak to the G31, but I have an EP45-DS3L fully working, sleep and all, with a retail install.

With 8Gb of RAM, it's absolutely the best Mac I've ever used. I would not hesitate to recommend the EP45.

Hi GoGades,

did you use boot 123 method? if so, did you follow any tutorial? I haven't found much on ep45 and boot 123.

FWIW, I just bought a brand new EP35-DS3P last week for $74.99 that I'm planning on using for my build. I think that for the price that I paid and the specs of the mobo, I came out OK..

I think p35-ds3p it's a very compatible board but it's a bit tricky to find (discontinued) and ep-45 doesn't costs much more while beeing a more modern board. The problem is that I've found nothing on ep-45-ds3 and boot123, and no boot123 image :D

• 2 weeks later...

Can you update to 10.5.6 (or .7) without any patching/problems?

Does your sleep/restart/shutdown still work with 10.5.6 (or .7) ?

Thx

• 4 weeks later...

I installed with this motherboard with IAtkos v5i with no issues with sleep or shutdown. I did have to find the correct audio drivers. everything else works smooth lan video SATA with no issues. The only issue ive had is playing COD 4. Other than that it runs smooth as {censored}. Also I updated to 10.5.7 from apple update. working great. posting from machine as we speak.