Questions about components, and install.

bburkert517

3 posts in this topic

Ive been trying to install OSx86 on my Presario f557US, my specs are as follows:

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Running Ubuntu Linux, the Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) release.

GNOME: 2.24.1 (Ubuntu 2008-10-24)

Kernel version: 2.6.27-11-generic (#1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:57:48 UTC 2009)

GCC: 4.3.2 (i486-linux-gnu)

Xorg: unknown (09 March 2009 10:48:54AM) (09 March 2009 10:48:54AM)

Hostname: ben-laptop

Uptime: 0 days 0 h 39 min

CPU INFORMATION

AuthenticAMD, Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3500+

Number of CPUs: 1

CPU clock currently at 1600.000 MHz with 512 KB cache

Numbering: family(15) model(76) stepping(2)

Bogomips: 3214.58

Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni cx16 lahf_lm extapic cr8_legacy

MEMORY INFORMATION

Total memory: 1452 MB

Total swap: 3922 MB

STORAGE INFORMATION

SCSI device - scsi0

Vendor: ATA

Model: ST9100827AS

SCSI device - scsi3

Vendor: Optiarc

Model: CD-RW CRX880A

SCSI device - scsi2

Vendor: STECH

Model: Simple Drive

HARDWARE INFORMATION

MOTHERBOARD

Host bridge

Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

PCI bridge(s)

nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 01)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 01)

USB controller(s)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 10)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 20)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 10)

nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 20)

ISA bridge

nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30b7

IDE interface

nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])

GRAPHIC CARD

VGA controller

nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

SOUND CARD

Multimedia controller

nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

NETWORK

Network controller

Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1363

NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD INFORMATION

Model name: GeForce Go 6100

Card Type: PCI

Video RAM: 256 MB

GPU Frequency: 425 MHz

Driver version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 180.11 Wed Nov 26 10:53:26 PST 2008

I have been trying multiple installation disks, I have also looked into the 132 loader but I have been able to find anything that helps my problem. I have been able to install the OS but unable to boot afterward. I get an error "Still waiting for root device". This is due to the SATA driver I am using, I think. I just am having a hard time figuring this out.

I have tried the iDenebv1.4 disk, which led to the root device error. Then by following this guide I patched it with the nforce patch, which is what I thought I needed. I patch the ISO then I burned it at 4x speed, but after the installation cd checks for consistency successfully the installation fails 75% through.

Another option I was exploring was trying to patch an Iso with this driver. I figured that the newest version might work, but honestly I have no idea how to patch the iso with just a kext file.

The option I really want to get working, is the 132 bootloader. It seems to be the ideal method of installation for OSx86, so it should be what I want to do right? I was trying to follow this guide which looks like I should be able to follow it relatively easily. But, I am stuck at step 1. ( I know, I know, step one...... :pirate2: )

Part One - Gathering the pieces of the puzzle (or making your own HCL)

The number one reason for writing the first post in our insanelymac.com forum is not having a clue of how compatible your hardware is with the OS X operating system. It is not always easy to find information (especially if you're using uncommon hardware) but chances are that there's something at least similar to your hardware that you can use as a reference.

Get a sheet of paper and write down:

- the list of your hardware specifications: mainboard model, onboard chips, video card, ethernet lan card (NIC), wifi card, etc.

- if your devices work "out-of-the-box" (otb) or if you need to modify system files or install additional files to get them to work. (search the web)

I suggest you prepare a directory where you will put all of the files you need classified by type.

Download all of the files required to get your hardware working. If you are already running some version of OS X, then make sure you keep a copy of it somewhere for later. Chances are, you might need some kext file from your Extensions folder.

Tip: I recommend using the forum's integrated search function and/or using Google with the "site:" parameter, to restrict the search to a specific website. For example:

site:insanelymac.com nvidia 7800GS

So I need to find the files for each component on my pc. This means I need to find different drivers for the BCM4311 wifi, the Geforce Go 6100, and the MCP51? I mean the MCP51 is listed under audio, Ethernet, the SATA, honestly its everywhere. I just really don't understand what the MCP51 does and why it is everywhere in my system, wtf I can do with it, and how to get it working with OSx86. Could anyone shine some light on this for me? For what components on my system do I need to get drivers for?

Please if anybody has had any experience with a PC similar to mine, please tell me how you got it working. I really would prefer to get the 132 bootloader working, so if anyone can help me out there, I would be indebted. It is the stupid Nvidia MCP51 component that is recall throwing me for a loop. I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

You're on the right track, you just have to keep looking. Here's a search on Shay's engine:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0094865532699...1&sa=Search

It's possible that the drivers other people use don't work for you because of your HP vendor ID. So maybe all you need to do is change the vendor ID in info.plist inside the nForceATA kernel extension.

Try the search with your laptop brand and model number. Maybe you can find someone else with the same laptop who has done that already.

You don't need drivers for everything on your boot-132 image, just the drivers that are necessary to boot and install OSX on your hardware.

You can install sound, LAN and proper graphics hardware later - everything is available for download here on insanelymac, just search for it.

Apart from the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and other standard stuff like DSMOS or AppleDecrypt, if you're lucky all you'll need is a driver for the SATA controller in your Nvidia Chipset.