Stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

Giammy

10 posts in this topic

Hi folks :) First, excuse my poor english...

Now, my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (sse2)

Mainboard: Asus Salmon 1.04

Chipset: SiS 760

RAM 2GB

a 200GB Maxtor IDE HD

GPU: Nvidia FX 5500

Audio: integrated SiS 7012

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8139

I've got the last iPC release, iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal FINAL, and i installed it with this options...

Voodoo 9.5.0

VIA/SiS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers

Legacy Geforce Drivers

SiS 7012 AC'97

Seatbelt.kext

Now the problem, when i reboot it stucks on the Apple logo, and if i boot in verbose mode it stucks on "Still waiting for root device"... I've tried to reinstall it and i've checked the AppleNforceATA one (also if i have no nforce chipset :P ), but nothing as before.

I have no hope, during the installation i can view my HD and format and partition it, but after installation, nothing...

Any solution? :)

Hi folks :hysterical: First, excuse my poor english...

Now, my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (sse2)

Mainboard: Asus Salmon 1.04

Chipset: SiS 760

RAM 2GB

a 200GB Maxtor IDE HD

GPU: Nvidia FX 5500

Audio: integrated SiS 7012

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8139

I've got the last iPC release, iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal FINAL, and i installed it with this options...

Voodoo 9.5.0

VIA/SiS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers

Legacy Geforce Drivers

SiS 7012 AC'97

Seatbelt.kext

Now the problem, when i reboot it stucks on the Apple logo, and if i boot in verbose mode it stucks on "Still waiting for root device"... I've tried to reinstall it and i've checked the AppleNforceATA one (also if i have no nforce chipset :hysterical: ), but nothing as before.

I have no hope, during the installation i can view my HD and format and partition it, but after installation, nothing...

Any solution? ;)

There are two different kernel flags that can be entered from the boot prompt that might help. Once you have this working you can edit your com.apple.Boot.plist and add the kernel flag there so it does not need to be entered each time.

One format is to enter "rd=diskXsY" - without the " marks where X is the bios disk number and Y is the OS partition number. While this form is easy to type it has one drawback. The value of X may change depending on attachment of external drives.

The second format is harder to type because of the length but has the advantage of never changing unless you reformat or partition the drive. This format is "boot-uuid=xxxyyyzzz" where xxxyyyzzz is the OS partition universal ID. You can learn the uuid by booting the install dvd and selecting Utilitys -> Disk Utility. When the disk utility loads, select the os partition and then in the upper left of the display window click the "I" info option. This will display an information panel which contains the uuid. Write it down and then exit disk utility and reboot.

Hope that helps. Good luck1

Still waiting for root device

This is generally one of three things:

1. If you are using PATA (The old IDE Ribbon Cable Drives) you will want to make sure that the drive you are installing to is set to MASTER via the jumpers and the actual drive itself. Id also recommend that you have the drive on the cable's first connector.

2. If you are using SATA drives try going into the BIOS and changing the SATA Mode from AHCI to IDE.

3. Chipset related. If your booting the install disk and are getting this issue and the first two do not fix the problem its probably chipset related. In the case of SATA, some motherboards have more than one SATA control and so one or the other may be compatible. You can check your user manual or online to see if this is the case and then plug into the appropriate connector.

Boot-Flags

Ideally you should boot in Verbose Mode until you have your machine running the way you want. This can be done by using the -v boot-flag. When you start the computer up you will see the Darwin bootloader screen. This screen will count down and by pressing the requested key will give you a prompt to enter these boot-options. Now instead of getting a gray screen with Apple logo, you will get useful information about the boot process and see at which line it hangs on.

Other useful boot-flags are:

-f which will load your kexts (drivers) individually instead of from the cache file.

-x which will boot you into Safe Mode loading only the basics

@ Giammy See here.......

@ Giammy See here.......

I had already seen that topic, but it's very old (2005), and it refers to Tiger... 2 years ago i successfully installed Tiger (with uphuck 1.3 release), but the problem now is Leopard!

Anyway, i've tried with BladeRunner methods, but nothing, it continues to stuck at "still waiting for root device"

I've uploaded a photo!

11042009332.th.jpg

Thank you :thumbsup_anim:

I had already seen that topic, but it's very old (2005), and it refers to Tiger... 2 years ago i successfully installed Tiger (with uphuck 1.3 release), but the problem now is Leopard!

Anyway, i've tried with BladeRunner methods, but nothing, it continues to stuck at "still waiting for root device"

I've uploaded a photo!

11042009332.th.jpg

Thank you :)

Is your DVDRW PATA or SATA? If it is PATA it should be jumpered as Master and connected to the end connector of your 80-wire IDE cable, with your IDE HDD jumpered as Slave and connected to the middle cable connector.....

Also, your SIS IDE controller vendor & device IDs may not be in the SIS chipset kext and/or the SIS chipset kext may not be incorporated in Extensions.mkext used for booting off the DVD......

Good Easter! :(

@verdant

on the mainboard i've got 2 ide connectors, the primary one has only the HD as master, and the secondary has the DVDRW as master and a DVD player as slave, i tried also with the second connector disconnected but i see no changes...

if i take my device and vendor ids, how could i insert them in the kext?

Good Easter! :)

@verdant

on the mainboard i've got 2 ide connectors, the primary one has only the HD as master, and the secondary has the DVDRW as master and a DVD player as slave, i tried also with the second connector disconnected but i see no changes...

if i take my device and vendor ids, how could i insert them in the kext?

I recommend that you try Kalyway 10.5.2, booting DVD with F8 and at Darwin prompt: -v cpus=1 and if you get to the Customize menu, select as follows:

kernel_9.2_sleep

No graphics driver initially

No audio driver initially

No network driver initially

Select all MOBO chipsets: (Default choice selects all if I remember correctly)

AppleNForceATA

AppleOnboardPCATA

AppleVIAATA

AppleGenericPCATA

SiliconImage3132

Select thirds_Applications: Your choice but I suggest at least:

changeFinder

kextHelperB7

pacifist

perian

ppfomatic

SimplyBurns