What does this circle and cross error mean?! Please help with a 10.5.6 build!

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys and potential girls,

I'm in the process of installing Mac on my new computer, but receive the following error message after the initial reboot once the installation has been complete. I'm using iPC 10.5.6 build.

11-04-09_0051.jpg

I did a bit of searching bit didn't find any solutions. Please give me any info you can. Is it driver selection or problems installing the wrong kernal?

Here are the specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel ATX E8400 CORE 2 DUO /3.0GHz/6MB/1333FSB/LGA775

GRAPHICS CARD: Sapphire HD4850 512M

RAM: Kingston DDR2 4(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P P45 DDR2

HDD: Samsung 750G SATA II 7200rpm 32M

If someone can tell me the drivers to select at start up - ecookies will be recieved ;)

Cheers!

You're going to have to go into verbose mode and see what is going on... a gray screen with a cross sign isn't going to tell much.

To get into verbose mode press f8 right before the gray screen appears and then enter -v.

me too, I tried iPC 10.5.6, iDeneb 10.5.5, Jas 10.4.8 and all of them gives me the same screen after installation is complete, no one gave me any answer, and I wonder where are the folks who claims they managed to get it running!!! when u need them u never find any !!!!!!

AND ALSO I WONDER why there isnt any sticky topic about installation and pree/post installation issues !!! everything is about patching !

me too, I tried iPC 10.5.6, iDeneb 10.5.5, Jas 10.4.8 and all of them gives me the same screen after installation is complete, no one gave me any answer, and I wonder where are the folks who claims they managed to get it running!!! when u need them u never find any !!!!!!

AND ALSO I WONDER why there isnt any sticky topic about installation and pree/post installation issues !!! everything is about patching !

Haha yeah dude I know... I will keep you posted via PM, do the same for me if you find anything :P

Google aint helping me out much here either.

do not expect any help from this forum, i'm sure that no one managed to get it running on a pc, and all of this may be just a propaganda made by apple itself to get more attention after microsoft f**ked them !!

I have seen it work on youtube, but I agree. It seems that if you post any questions, there'll be either no answer or 2 ambiguous "answers" to your problems.

This forum isn't the best, lemme tell you.

Btw, I'm getting the same error when I try to install. No clue and these "guru's" here probably won't help you (yeah, i'm calling your bluff!)

Well, no one apparently replies to anyone who is a n00b concerning this stuff in any meaningful way. If you look at the forum, many people have unanswered questions. Not very good imo. Whats the point of a forum if no one helps?

Related to the actual problem instead of bitching about the posters....

Try turning off USB legacy devices in the bios. I did that and the circle w/ the cross went away.

If you still cannot run the install properly, reburn the disc w/ something like ImgBurn. You have to burn it slow 1-3x. 2.4x worked for me.

I'm now stuck with the computer trying to load osx and restarting before getting anywhere. Go figure.

Good luck!

Well, no one apparently replies to anyone who is a n00b concerning this stuff in any meaningful way. If you look at the forum, many people have unanswered questions. Not very good imo. Whats the point of a forum if no one helps?

The real problem is that every single n00b issue has been covered ad nauseam and if people would just use the search instead of posting they would find all the answers.

I'm not joking - unless you have very problematic or uncommon hardware it's possible to get a fully working hackintosh running just by searching the forum.

After some time the experienced users stop answering the same questions again and again. I've begun posting links to my old posts instead of answering.

Another thing that comes into play is that what works for me might not work for you.

To give you an example, I have USB Legacy support set to AUTO in my BIOS on both hackintoshes in my signature, and they're working fine with that setting.

When you get down to the finer details, installing OSX on a PC is not an exact science. There are very few things that are written in stone.

Top n00b issues that have been covered a million times:

Waiting for root device

Random Kernel panics on systems with more than 2GB RAM

Kernel panic on mounting/unmounting USB drives

USB drives only working if they're connected on startup

Kernel panic when mounting a .dmg image

Booting up to a blue screen with mouse pointer

Various video issues caused by missing CI/QE

And finally the dreaded

"Can i install OSX on hardware XYZ?"

"Which OSX86 distribution is the best for my hardware?"

"What should I pick in Custom Install".

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem. The problem was that it wasnt reading the cdrom drive, notice the cdrom drive, its not spinning or reading when this white box comes. Fix it like this:

Go into your bios and look for something called "ahci" change it to ahci not the default compatibility mode.

If your dual booting to windows 7 windows requires compatibility or it will give you a blue screen of death.