Help! Issues with Retail MBR Install

chris7519

10 posts in this topic

I am attempting to do a dual boot with retail OS X and Windows 7 on my HDX16t. I am attempting to follow this guide but I am having the following issues:

1. Part B.14 - When I type in "xar -c -f OSInstall.mpkg", it's telling me something like there isn't any such file or no file source (sorry, don't have running OS X where I am). But everything before that point is working...

So I downloaded the modified mpkg file in the post and replaced it into the image and burned with Toast 10

2. I now have a DL Retail with MBR and Boot132. The Boot132 seems to be doing its part, and I can start up the installation. However, after the initial splash screen goes away and the OS X wallpaper is being displayed, the installation just hangs. I can move the mouse around but nothing happens.

3. I then tried to just burn the modified Retail and boot with the Boot132 CD I had... but it never boots up from the DVD, it just goes back to the Boot132 selection options (seems a couple of people have this problem with their modded Retails).

Any advice???

AGAIN,

I have the exact same problem yet no one can show me any answers!

It is frustrating as I have brought Leopard 10.5.6 and really don't want to resort to those pirated free hacked copies of OSX!

Matt

Where you able to use the xar method and modify the OSInstall.mpkg?

I'm thinking (and hoping) that this is the issue I'm having. I'm resorting to the one in the post, but it's made with the 10.5.1 disc... I wouldn't think it would have that big of an effect, but maybe it is???

Do you think it's possible to use the OSInstall.mpkg from say iPC's version which is able to install onto an MBR partition???

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by editing the OSInstall.mpkg??

Im using Boot 132 or something, then i put in the leopard dvd, then it asks me to boot, i press enter, then it asks me to enter a two digit number code, like a hexadecimal code ie (80 or 81), i enter nothing, press enter then it loads OSX and goes onto the night sky then hangs...

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by editing the OSInstall.mpkg??

Im using Boot 132 or something, then i put in the leopard dvd, then it asks me to boot, i press enter, then it asks me to enter a two digit number code, like a hexadecimal code ie (80 or 81), i enter nothing, press enter then it loads OSX and goes onto the night sky then hangs...

Editing the OSInstall.mpkg allows you to install Mac OS X onto a MBR partition, so you can dual boot with windows and a retail DVD... I don't get the hanging problem with the retail DVD however. I COULD install the retail, but would be without Windows which I need.

I wonder why you're having that issue with an original retail DVD???

So I'm still working on this...

I fixed the OSInstall.mpkg issue and replaced it onto my newly created .iso. However, while going through the files on my new image, I noticed all these files that aren't on my Retail DVD. These include the .DS_Store, .spotlight, .trashes, etc files. I can remove some, but the .trashes files can't be deleted. I attempted to use BlueHarvest, but with no luck... is there any way to delete these files and prevent them from being created whenever I create a new image??? Could this be the cause of my modified Retail DVD failing??? Please help!!!

• 1 month later...