Leopard boots but then hangs?

matmatoo

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have successfully booted a retail version of leopard, using the tutorial found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/01/install...-boot-132-hack/

Leopard boots, it passes the "grey apple screen", then goes onto the "Nightsky" screen with a little rainbow circle, the pc then "hangs" or freezes at this screen, I've left it for 40 minutes and nothing happens.

I am using a:

Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook

Intel Core2 Duo Processor T7250

2.0GHz 2MB Cache, 800MHz RAM

3GB RAM

250GB SATA HARD DRIVE

NVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB

Please, PLEASE can someone tell me whats wrong?!!

-Matt

anyone??

Please, please help me!!

Boot with -v at the Darwin boot: prompt and report what happens.......readers will then be able to offer help.......

Hey verdant,

I put in -v but then it booted out of BIOS so it didn't tell me anything that was actually wrong,

I've noticed that when the screen "hangs", the dvd drive stops reading, it becomes idle, I wonder if this is the problem?

Hey verdant,

I put in -v but then it booted out of BIOS so it didn't tell me anything that was actually wrong,

I've noticed that when the screen "hangs", the dvd drive stops reading, it becomes idle, I wonder if this is the problem?

When you boot with -v do you get to come out of the white on black boot screen into the OS X Desktop before it hangs....?

When you boot with -v do you get to come out of the white on black boot screen into the OS X Desktop before it hangs....?

When I boot using -v it comes out of the white on black boot screen and goes into the OS X Desktop THEN it hangs

Would it be easier to talk on msn or something? Thank you heaps for taking the time to reply!

Matt

When I boot using -v it comes out of the white on black boot screen and goes into the OS X Desktop THEN it hangs

Would it be easier to talk on msn or something? Thank you heaps for taking the time to reply!

Matt

You are experiencing a kernel panic.......

Suggest you first try booting with -v -x......

Also add debug=0x144 to com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags......

You are experiencing a kernel panic.......

Suggest you first try booting with -v -x......

Also add debug=0x144 to com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags......

Sorry, I don't understand,

when Darwin asks me to boot, do i type:

-v -x debugx144 to com.apple.Boot.plist

?

Matt

So what do I do to get it to work properly?

Matt

With -v -x you boot into Safe mode which boots your system with the bare minimum of kexts required for OS X to run being dynamikcally loaded into the kernel......

Thus if you can boot into safe mode OK then it indicates that you have one or more problem-causing kexts.....

If you can boot into Safe Mode, you can then modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

[code]sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

[/code]

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere except where there are spaces) the needed missing lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
  <plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string>-v debug=0x144</string> 
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>5</string>
  </dict>
  </plist>

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

This way if a kernel panic occurs a panic message will appearon screen giving details of the panic to assist in debugging......

Hi Verdant.

Okay, so this is the process:

Boot my Laptop using a DVD boot, insert the special Boot CD, then I enter:

-v -x

then it goes onto another BIOS screen that tells me to enter a hexadecimal number? Then I insert the leopard dvd then push enter, it then reads the leopard dvd.

When do I put the rest of the coding in? / how do I get to that menu?

Hey everyone, after using a different booting .iso it successfully booted AND installed, HOWEVER,

BIOS recongises my built in keypad however leopard does not reconigise it, I have a USB mouse yet leopard reconiges it but not my usb keyboard or actual built in keyboard.

I really, REALLY need help as until this is fixed I am without a computer as leopard requires a keyboard before it fully starts up...

thank you,

matt

Hey everyone, after using a different booting .iso it successfully booted AND installed, HOWEVER,

BIOS recongises my built in keypad however leopard does not reconigise it, I have a USB mouse yet leopard reconiges it but not my usb keyboard or actual built in keyboard.

I really, REALLY need help as until this is fixed I am without a computer as leopard requires a keyboard before it fully starts up...

thank you,

matt

You likely need a PS/2 patch for keyboard and a trackpad patch........

thank you,

matt

Did you create the new .iso? I'm experiencing the same kernel panic you did... the system hangs after the splash screen.

Ive installed OSX 10.5.6 Retail onto my Inspiron 1520, however when I start leopard it goes into this "wizard" which tells me "Mac cannot detect a keyboard/keypad, please plug it in", I can't get pass this screen and go into leopard/finder to install/change files!!!

Please, Please help me, How do I install this kext when I cannot access files?!

Matt

chris7519,

I used a different boot .iso and it worked perfectly, I wish I knew where I got it from, keep hunting and try a differnet boot .iso!