Best Kernel Version, differences?

underball

5 posts in this topic

so I got my Hackintosh running pretty well with iDeneb 1.4. Pretty much vanilla, with the exception of the video, LAN, and USb drivers.

But as I'm learning here, I'm wondering what are the benefits, differences, or pitfalls of the alternative kernels, like Voodoo, etc?

my machine runs pretty fast, and nothing has crashed even after weeks of trying everything.

Guest cavallo
so I got my Hackintosh running pretty well with iDeneb 1.4. Pretty much vanilla, with the exception of the video, LAN, and USb drivers.

But as I'm learning here, I'm wondering what are the benefits, differences, or pitfalls of the alternative kernels, like Voodoo, etc?

my machine runs pretty fast, and nothing has crashed even after weeks of trying everything.

Without hardware nobody can help you, in any case you missed chipset

Without hardware nobody can help you, in any case you missed chipset

I'm not asking for MY hardware, I'm asking what's the point of making alternate kernels.

I don't need any help. My hardware works just fine. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to the alternate kernels other than compatibility with certain hardware.

Are they made because certain hardware won't work with the vanilla kernel, or are there actual new or different features that the vanilla kernel doesn't have?

kernels are made for different purposes... and for different hardware.

if vanilla works... than go with it.

example:

if you are using speedstep or cpu's that use hyper threading I'd recommend the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.