List: Updates that are OK?

7 posts in this topic

i've been looking around here, but haven't been able to find anything. do we have a list of updates that are ok to run? i'm using iPC 10.5.6 so i know not to run 10.5.7 when it comes out. i'm asking more about all the other updates... security updates, application updates, etc. how about installing iLife '09 or Adobe CS4 applications?

if we have a list and i missed it please forgive me. but if not i think it would make a really nice addition to the website. it could be created purely from user feedback and personal experiences.

i've been looking around here, but haven't been able to find anything. do we have a list of updates that are ok to run? i'm using iPC 10.5.6 so i know not to run 10.5.7 when it comes out. i'm asking more about all the other updates... security updates, application updates, etc. how about installing iLife '09 or Adobe CS4 applications?

if we have a list and i missed it please forgive me. but if not i think it would make a really nice addition to the website. it could be created purely from user feedback and personal experiences.

I am still new at this but I can tell you what I know from personal experience and trial and error.

Depending on the kernel you are running depends on the updates you can install, I have much better results with Vanilla kernel (Unmodified kernel).

I have install 100% of the updated through apple update except the OS updates (10.5.x to wtv) and have had little to no issues.

With the Voodoo Kernel I have had issues installing security updates, weather it was an issue with my installation or the kernel I am not sure, but when I upgraded to the Vanilla 9.6 Kernel from my buddy's MBP it's been working flawlessly.

I have iLife and Photoshop installed on my computer and seem to be working 100%

Hope this helped!

JEB

I looked for this also and couldnt find anything. I installed ipc 10.5.6. I have installed all updates so without a problem. I also didnt have anything to loose but time. I would not install 10.5.7 tho until the gurus gave the go ahead.

I am still new at this but I can tell you what I know from personal experience and trial and error.

Depending on the kernel you are running depends on the updates you can install, I have much better results with Vanilla kernel (Unmodified kernel).

I have install 100% of the updated through apple update except the OS updates (10.5.x to wtv) and have had little to no issues.

With the Voodoo Kernel I have had issues installing security updates, weather it was an issue with my installation or the kernel I am not sure, but when I upgraded to the Vanilla 9.6 Kernel from my buddy's MBP it's been working flawlessly.

I have iLife and Photoshop installed on my computer and seem to be working 100%

Hope this helped!

JEB

actually that last part of your post is exactly why i was asking.

specifically i was planning on installing:

iLife

Photoshop and Illustrator

Logic Studio

i went for 9.4.0 since i'm using a Core2Duo, so hopefully i wont have any issues with software compatibility and update compatibility.

9 times out 0f 10 all the updates are fine, it's only when you get a big update (the next one being 10.5.7) is when you run into problems.

If you have a spare drive do a clone of your install prior to any update ;)

i was planning on doing this, since my install is still fairly fresh. can apple's Disk Utility do a true 1/0 copy or do i need to use something else?

• 3 months later...
i was planning on doing this, since my install is still fairly fresh. can apple's Disk Utility do a true 1/0 copy or do i need to use something else?

Try Carbon Copy Cloner, it´s the best Software I know to do that.