VMWare - keyboard problems

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, after a long battle I finally found a distribution that I was able to install, iDeneb 10.5.6. However, after a few min working they keys start to react slower and slower and a keys often get "stuck" and cannot be unstuck again, so it types "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" till I restart it. Tried using usb and ps2 keyboards, same, tried the vmware guest clock fix, but same again :P

Any ideas?

(damn, even got vmware shard folders working...)

Hey guys, after a long battle I finally found a distribution that I was able to install, iDeneb 10.5.6. However, after a few min working they keys start to react slower and slower and a keys often get "stuck" and cannot be unstuck again, so it types "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" till I restart it. Tried using usb and ps2 keyboards, same, tried the vmware guest clock fix, but same again :(

Any ideas?

(damn, even got vmware shard folders working...)

You could try adding these settings to the VMX file.

1. Power down the guest

2. Close VMware

3. use a text editor to open the VMX file foun in the guest's folder

4. Add these settings:

keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000"

host.useTSC = "TRUE"

5. Save and close

6. Fire up VMware again.

Let me know how it goes. Also how did you get VMware shared folders running? What version of VMware are you hosting it on, as I can get them working only as root.

Thanks Donk, sadly that only got it worse - now happens on very first seconds rather than few minutes :(

Shared folders: was quite a battle especially with keys getting stuck and I had to restart every few min. Here is how:

1. Run terminal window, don't sudo it, type id and you will get something like uid=501. Note that 501

2. Go to /Library/Application Support and press get info on the VMware Tools folder, unlock it and change the permissions for "everyone" to be read and write

3. Go inside VMware Tools folder, double-click on the services.sh file, find the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

and modify it to say

mount -o uid=501 -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

using your own uid you got at the start

4. Restart

Thanks Donk, sadly that only got it worse - now happens on very first seconds rather than few minutes :(

Shared folders: was quite a battle especially with keys getting stuck and I had to restart every few min. Here is how:

1. Run terminal window, don't sudo it, type id and you will get something like uid=501. Note that 501

2. Go to /Library/Application Support and press get info on the VMware Tools folder, unlock it and change the permissions for "everyone" to be read and write

3. Go inside VMware Tools folder, double-click on the services.sh file, find the line

mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

and modify it to say

mount -o uid=501 -t vmhgfs .host:/ '/Volumes/VMware Shared Folders'

using your own uid you got at the start

4. Restart

Not sure on the keyboard front. Try deleting all the USB parameters I listed and see if that works.

Thanks for the shared folders tips, I was on the right lines but didn't quite get the mount parameters correct. I will copy to my main thread on VMware and Leopard and credit you if that is alright with you.

Man... I think that did it - deleting all the usb stuff... still too early to believe and will continue to test but didn't failed first 2 minutes so there is a hope :( THANKS

As for shared folders - ofc, copy them to the guide, we are about helping each other here not holding on info or something :P

At the end, all the tricks did not solved the problem, just made it show after 10 or so minutes, still unusable for work :(

UPDATE: Need to build the drivers - I'll update post when I am done

UPDATE2: Ready to try it out

I guess the other alternative is to install PS2 drivers and disable the USB keyboard and mouse in the guest. I have tested it and works for me.

1. Download the PS2 drivers from attached to this post

2. Install to the /S/L/E folder as usual for an extension

3. Edit the VMX file:

a. Remove the USB stuff as before.

b. Add:

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

Let me know how it goes and I will look at updating the main templates.

ApplePS2.zip

Man you really did it! The project I needed to check out macos was cancelled so I have not been checking these forums for a few days, nor I had any hope of this problem to be solved but... miracle :rolleyes:

The mouse settings makes a fun out of sync when you are in full screen mode - you can't click on the tab bar above, but returning mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" and leaving the keyboard to false... it works!

However... another problem showed - the keyremap4macbook program stopped working with PS2 keyboard. This is the only program I have seen that is able to remap the numpad area to work as arrows, the home/end/pageup and pagedown to work like they do on pc too (btw the version that does it is not on the site, if you want it I can ask him to publish)

• 3 weeks later...
What USB parameters are you referring to? I don't see them in this thread.

My best advice now is to get the Voodoo PS2 controller and install into the virtual machine. Then once installed shut it down and edit the VMX file and add:

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"