Duplicate Network Connection in XP PRO

BiTRiP

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone a solution how to duplicate the network adapter in WindowsXP Pro like in OSX?

I am on two seperate networks (on one cable), one network is giving ip by DHCP the other is static.

How can I add another "virtual" adapter that uses the same NIC as the real one so both networks are reachable.

I know it can be done by using both static ip's but thats not an option. I need to use DHCP for that network.

Thanks

BiTRiP

:)

go to the tcpip settings through network connections/properties for the connection, there there is an option for an alternate configuration, it should let you see a second network. I'd use the static address as the alternate option as I would say it's probably less likely to pick up a dhcp address than the primary config. I've done this in the past as a way of getting a PC on one network to connect to the internet on another one. saying that a second network card, even if it's one of those usb jobs and even if it connects to the same hub/switch, would be the easiest option though especially as you can get a nic for next to nothing these days.

Thanks for your reply Scoz but that option is unfortunately not a solution. I already tried that before but the Alternate Configuration is ONLY used when the first preferred is not available. So it's not that both networks are available at the same time.

I know a 2nd nic is easier and not the money but problem is the cable here, and yes I can solve that with a switch but i just wondering if its possible on software base just like OSX. It's perfect in OSX.

Thanks.

BiTRiP

I had got it wrong, thanks it's reminded me of how to do it now. with the main setting in your tcp/ip as a static ip address in the bottom corner there is advanced options it's in there that lets you add a second ip address and second default gateway if needed. unfortuantely it doesn't seem to allow for one static/one dynamic address. All I can say is from experience most of the time with dhcp allocated addresses the servers have given the same ip addresses so it might be an idea to connect up get the details then set the one that uses the dhcp address as a static one anyway.