Iatkos 5i install on Shuttle K45 Halts

lapoltba

16 posts in this topic

Basically the title says it all. Clean install good dvd.b

Core 2 duo, 2g ram, ide DVD rom, SATA HD

Ive run osx86 before but i cant seem to get iatkos 5i to install.

1. Patition Format and set active partition
  2. Boots DVD fine
  3. Disk utility to format the partition i want
  4. configure install and click install
  5. Check DVD
  6. Install starts, progress bar has about 1/8" on it and then I hear the HD spin down and installation halts.

The installer is not locked up or anything, i can still use quit installer to restart and everything. it just stops installing. It does the same thing with iatkos 4.

Any ideas?

-Brian-

What are you bios setting?

To get Kalyway 10.5.2 installed I needed to restore the bios to "default settings" and everything but sleep works out of the box. Also video is stuck at 1024x768 but that is fine with me. Here are the specs on my Minihack

K45

e2200/stock heatsink

2 gigs (1x2) Crucial ddr2-667 RAM

640 gig WD6400AAKS SATA drive

PATA LG DVD-RAM drive used for install

Additional USB ports added to the front

Yeah, that was the first thing i did, restore default settings. Ive been playing with the bios trying different settings. Unfortunately the bios is very limited in config. I was trying to find where to set the SATA settings to AHCI but i cant locate it.

BTW. are you running the newest bios revision? I just got mine back from Shuttle for warantee repair of a connector and they updated the bios without me asking...

*EDIT*

How did you add the usb ports to the front??? I would love to see pics. I know there are two spaces for them in teh plastic bezel but i havent found a clean way to do it yet.

I will check the settings for ACHI in the bios of my machine for you and get back. I will also check the bios. I am running the bios it was shipped with last November when I got it from Tigerdirect. I have noticed some of the screen shots from people are different than what my screens show.

AS for the USB ports, here are pics:

n1049303012_387424_2347100.jpg

I pulled the connector out of an old Gateway and adapted it to fit. I used my leatherman and cut a hole in the face plate. It hooks directly into the extra USB headers on the mobo near the PCI slot.

Ok, on the Hackmini now :)

I believe bios is v6.00PG and on the bottom left of the screen during boot it shows 11/04/2008 Lakeport (whatever that means)

I think these are the key settings in the bios:

Select "Integrated Peripherals" and "enter"

Select "On Chip IDE Dev" and "enter"

Set "On chip SATA" = enhanced mode In same submenu set SATA port speed settings = disabled

On main bios screen, select "standard CMOS" and "enter"

Next menu, select SATA 1 or 2 according to where your drive is attached then "enter"

EXT IDE = Auto

Access Mode = Auto

IIRC... these settings were different than I had when running windows. :(

Thanks a ton.... I am not home at the moment but i will check my bios rev. and let you know. I believe i checked all those settings. I found an older tutorial for a kalyway install on this setup and it mentioned to change those values. It still didnt work.

-B-

OK, heres what i have:

Pheonix Award Bios 6.0PG

11/4/08 Lakeport-6A79HH2EC-00 (Serial number??)

Surfed around the bios a little again and I'm very surprised at how few settings there are. Rather, there are few USEFUL settings.... It really looks like the bios from my first 386 minus the USB and boot configurations.

Ive been at it a while too. Taught myself about computers on that first 386 with dos and windows 3.1 :P Those were the days...

-B-

Get anywhere on this? Have you considered iPC10.5.6?

Yes thanks. I tried to reply yesterday but apparently there is an issue with IE on this forum and after composing a post for 10 min it woldnt go... BUt anyway.

I downloaded a different installer this time i used an iPC 10.5.6 installer and everything went smoothly this time. The only issues i have are with the on board ethernet and the graphics. I have yet to search for solutions.

I am currently running my vista partition and searching the net for drivers.

Good news is that the audio worked out of the box and osx is (as usual) much faster than VIsta. But then again, what isnt?

-Brian-

Thanks for the update. I have iPC downloaded and plan to burn it to DVD and try it. I am quite impressed wtih Kalyway but would like to have the latest updates that 10.5.6 contains. Might give iPC a try on an extra drive and if I can get it going than try the install on the WD currently in the K45. Does USB work OK? I need to fix some kext to get them to work 100% but overall I love it.

Thanks for the update. I have iPC downloaded and plan to burn it to DVD and try it. I am quite impressed wtih Kalyway but would like to have the latest updates that 10.5.6 contains. Might give iPC a try on an extra drive and if I can get it going than try the install on the WD currently in the K45. Does USB work OK? I need to fix some kext to get them to work 100% but overall I love it.

USB worked flawlessly. Thats actually how i got the marvell driver installed. I tried everything i could find for the video drivers and nothing unlocked differnt resolutions. I was searching for a solution to the shutdown, sleep, wakeup problem and havent had any luck. It begins to go to sleep by shutting down the HD but then it just sits there and "wakes up" when you move the mouse. I tried a few things but it just messed the entire thing up. I am experimenting with modified kernels on the ipc disc. I recommend you download the NON-Live version as it will boot/install faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so heres an update. Ive been so busy with school (18 credits this quarter), Formula SAE, and work 20 hours a week on top of that.

So after getting it installed once and messing up the partition, i reinstalled. Now i am getting "waiting for root device" error. anyone have suggestions besides "search" because ive done that...

• 2 weeks later...