ASUS P5K help required.

Salerk

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been over the last 4 days to install OS X version 5.5 as i believe its compatible with my video card.

My system is:

Asus PK5 motherboard.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40 ghz

It is compatible with SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3 + others. (but I think they are the main ones?)

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Linksys Wireless G PCI Adaptor

If you need any other information at all please ask. Im woefully ignorant on what information is needed, and for some reason I could not find a guide on what to post.

I have gone through my Bios and as far as I can see I have everything set correctly apart from one option. This would be:

J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller. I believe this is ment to be set to disabled? but when I do that my computer looses the DVD drive(s) This computer was given to me, so I do not know how its wired inside. could this be where I need to change come internal connections?

I have an Original OS X Leo disc (Version OS X 10.5.2) and I would idealy like to do the instlation useing this original disk.

Ive attempted to make a disk using the information from these forums. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

Using the Noobs use this first disk. when I use it it runs, I do the dvd change over but it does not detect it and keeps asking me to enter 80 or 81 for a hdd (81 does nothing, 80 boots XP)

I have also tried to use a iDeneb installation DVD also (10.5.5) and this will hang after giving me an error message saying:

Mac OS Version:

Not Yet Set.

After much trial and error from multiple sources online I have come to the conclusion that I need help from the more experienced users who may just be able to tell me what I have missed.

So if anyone can help me at all please do.

Or even point me to threads I may have missed.

Ideally I would like to do the installation from my original disc but anything would be better than missing using Leo when I'm not on my laptop.

Thanks in Advance.

Salerk

hiya

I first installed using kalyway 10.5.1 ages ago - check this topic:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry664623

Since then, I have cloned my macbook pro laptop, and i boot using this in my PC, which I guess doesnt really help you as you may not have a mac to start with.

Do a search for Boot-132 method on here, and you should be able to find a bootloader which you can burn to CD made specifically for our board. When you load that up, you can probably swap the disk to the Retail version and install from there. The .iso files is just called ASUSP5K.iso I think, you should be able to find it easily.

From then on, after install to hard drive, you can just boot the CD and then select your drive afterwards (80/81) - once installed you will get a choice of Windows or Mac.

Or to make it easier, just install Leopard to a separate hard drive to start with.

My gfx card is the 7300GT and took a while to get going, I'd concentrate on getting OSX installed first.

To solve your problem with JMicron, you should either use a SATA dvd drive or purchase a SATA/IDE cable - otherwise you may not be able to boot from the downloaded CD.

There are ways to get Jmicron IDE to recognise your retail disk, but I have not tried it out

You MUST make sure your install disk is retail, not specifically for a mac (i.e. "repair disk") otherwise you cannot use it.

hope that helps

p.s. i just noticed you already use boot 132! in that case, the SATA DVD drive will solve your problem - i should have read your post first!

J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller. I believe this is ment to be set to disabled? but when I do that my computer looses the DVD drive(s) This computer was given to me, so I do not know how its wired inside. could this be where I need to change come internal connections?

If your optical drives are PATA then you will obviously lose them if you disable the JMicron controller.

All recent OSx86 distros supports booting from JMicron ATA controllers so just leave it enabled and don't worry about it.

If you're trying to boot retail via boot-132, the RAM disk on the boot CD must contain a JMicronATA kext.

/EDIT - monkeytreacle:

Are you saying that it's not possible to boot retail with a boot-132 CD on a PATA controller?

All he needs to do is to put JMicronATA.kext in the initrd.img.

Using the Noobs use this first disk. when I use it it runs, I do the dvd change over but it does not detect it and keeps asking me to enter 80 or 81 for a hdd (81 does nothing, 80 boots XP)

Try 9f, and if that doesn't work, work your way down from there in hex, i.e. 9e, 9d, 9c and so on.

But yes...try to find an iso that's already prepared for your board (or at least a board in the P5K family), I'm sure one is out there.

Im actually running on a Mac Book Pro at the moment, its because of how much i enjoy the OS I wish to get it on my main PC, how does the Clone method work?

hiya

I first installed using kalyway 10.5.1 ages ago - check this topic:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry664623

Since then, I have cloned my macbook pro laptop, and i boot using this in my PC, which I guess doesnt really help you as you may not have a mac to start with.

Do a search for Boot-132 method on here, and you should be able to find a bootloader which you can burn to CD made specifically for our board. When you load that up, you can probably swap the disk to the Retail version and install from there. The .iso files is just called ASUSP5K.iso I think, you should be able to find it easily.

From then on, after install to hard drive, you can just boot the CD and then select your drive afterwards (80/81) - once installed you will get a choice of Windows or Mac.

Or to make it easier, just install Leopard to a separate hard drive to start with.

My gfx card is the 7300GT and took a while to get going, I'd concentrate on getting OSX installed first.

To solve your problem with JMicron, you should either use a SATA dvd drive or purchase a SATA/IDE cable - otherwise you may not be able to boot from the downloaded CD.

There are ways to get Jmicron IDE to recognise your retail disk, but I have not tried it out

You MUST make sure your install disk is retail, not specifically for a mac (i.e. "repair disk") otherwise you cannot use it.

hope that helps

p.s. i just noticed you already use boot 132! in that case, the SATA DVD drive will solve your problem - i should have read your post first!