You need to restart your computer

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I recently setup new hardware in my computer. Since then I experience the "You need to restart your computer" message randomly. I tested this on a retail install as well as on a XxX installation. I say random, whilst there is no need for a program to be running. Whether I am working on the pc or away (non-sleep, just standing idle) it can happen. I looked into the sysem logs, but there is no registration of any issue nor kernel panic. I am not sure whether this is a hardware issue or software. See my signature for hardware information. Does anyone know what is causing it?

Thanks in advance,

Eddie.

boot with maxmem=2048 and see if the crashes stop.

If they do, you are using one or more older drive controller kernel extensions that haven't been patched for compatibility with +2GB RAM.

Thanks, know I know what is causing it. It seems like there are three options:

1. Use a max of 2GB of ram
  2. Switch to a 64 bits kernel
  3. Ditch IDE drives and put bios in AHCI

None of these seem preferable. Is there any other solution?

Thanks, know I know what is causing it. It seems like there are three options:
  1. Use a max of 2GB of ram
  2. Switch to a 64 bits kernel
  3. Ditch IDE drives and put bios in AHCI

None of these seem preferable. Is there any other solution?

There are some community modified 64bit kexts which my fix your problem. I have an nForce chipset and had the same issue which I managed to fix by using one of these. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611

Before you start installing kexts I would recommend that you at least backup your extensions folder so that if you have problems or unable to reboot you can restore them in Single User Mode -s

Backing up your extension folder (Kexts)

mkdir /backup
cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ /backup