ati Fan speed control solution

motu828mk2

5 posts in this topic

hi all

ok the most GPUs have Working QE/CI, Resolution Change, etc

but what about fan speed control.. i have hd 4870 not working yet

the drivers is almost ready..

so how can control the fan speed for the GPU

With out fan control i have 80c idle temperature with this GPU..

i solve this problem with litle gpu bios mod ..

first you need GPU-Z.0.3.1.exe http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1304/mirrors.php

to save your GPU bios ...

then you need Winflash 2.0.1.7 http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1364/...sh_2.0.1.7.html

to flash your mod gpu bios back to the gpu..

this to mod your bios.. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1356/...itor_v1.20.html

all ways back up your original bios for recovery...

Hey there,

I was also looking for a way to change the fan speed of the fan on my HD 4850 since it overheats massively during use, and sometimes forces the computer to shut down (though this is mostly in games and during OpenGL rendering in After Effects...)

My only problem is... Not having a windows computer with a PCI-E slot in, and not having any spare drives or partitions on my hackintosh machine to run XP on, to run the programs you've mentioned above.

Are there any other solutions to this problem, that don't involve me buying another hard drive or graphics card?

Cheers,

blab

hi all

ok the most GPUs have Working QE/CI, Resolution Change, etc

but what about fan speed control.. i have hd 4870 not working yet

the drivers is almost ready..

so how can control the fan speed for the GPU

With out fan control i have 80c idle temperature with this GPU..

i solve this problem with gpu bios mod ..

this to mod your bios.. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1356/...itor_v1.20.html

all ways back up your original bios for recovery...

What exact have you changed in RBE ?

Only set lower target temps so that the fan runs faster ?!

At least ATI38XX cards may not seen by the windows ati drivers anymore (an well known problem, maybe for 48XX also) - i tried that, when using RBE. Buts no risk, if you have saved the orig. ROM to flash back.

What exact have you changed in RBE ?

Only set lower target temps so that the fan runs faster ?!

At least ATI38XX cards may not seen by the windows ati drivers anymore (an well known problem, maybe for 48XX also) - i tried that, when using RBE. Buts no risk, if you have saved the orig. ROM to flash back.

you can change the T min ("C) to 20 c .. this force the fan to spin faster for lower temp..

i change the t min from 58 to 18 . is ok now i have good temp ..

all ways backup your original bios

Hey there,

I was also looking for a way to change the fan speed of the fan on my HD 4850 since it overheats massively during use, and sometimes forces the computer to shut down (though this is mostly in games and during OpenGL rendering in After Effects...)

My only problem is... Not having a windows computer with a PCI-E slot in, and not having any spare drives or partitions on my hackintosh machine to run XP on, to run the programs you've mentioned above.

Are there any other solutions to this problem, that don't involve me buying another hard drive or graphics card?

Cheers,

blab

buy a new hd .. install xp to fix the problem ..change the t min to 20 c ..

or go to your friend pc install the GPU .. fix the bios ..add back to your pc

all ways back up your original bios for recovery

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got a hold of an old hard drive of a friends, and got XP up and running on it.

Modded the bios as per OP's tutorial, however I didn't change any of the settings myself, as there was a neat little button in RBE which said "Auto Adjust Settings", I clicked that. I also clicked a little box in the additional features tab which said "Fix Spin up Bug" or something like that, which seems to have solved my issue with the card not automatically increasing it's speed under heavy load.

30 minutes into my GPU stress test, and it's doing a lot better than it usually fares, so thanks a bunch!