Install iPC Universal Final on HP Compaq 6710b help?

M4T

31 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently downloaded iPC Universal Final for my laptop Compaq 6710b. But I can never find the correct drivers or anything else as a matter of fact. The installation went smooth without errors but when I boot it up on some driver configurations it just shows me a black screen with a cursor stuck in the top left of my screen. I know other people have had this problem, but I cant seem to find a way to fix it. If anyone knows what Drivers and the other stuff to select to get this working that would be a great help.

Hi, I recently downloaded iPC Universal Final for my laptop Compaq 6710b. But I can never find the correct drivers or anything else as a matter of fact. The installation went smooth without errors but when I boot it up on some driver configurations it just shows me a black screen with a cursor stuck in the top left of my screen. I know other people have had this problem, but I cant seem to find a way to fix it. If anyone knows what Drivers and the other stuff to select to get this working that would be a great help.

Your chipset is Intel M965 and video chipset is Intel GMA X3100......start by not selecting video, network and audio drivers.....get a basic OS X system working......these drivers can be installed later....

Your chipset is Intel M965 and video chipset is Intel GMA X3100......start by not selecting video, network and audio drivers.....get a basic OS X system working......these drivers can be installed later......

Ok thanks. I'll try it out and report back.

No good. I'm not sure what smbios to use.

Nope, I cant seem to get a bare bones install with a kernal to work.

Post the iPC 10.5.6 Customise selections you have been making......

Yes, Sorry.
  • 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
  • Chipset: Intel ICHx SATA Drivers
  • Audio: AD1981
  • Patched USB Drivers
  • Voodoo Power
  • PS/2 Keyboard Fix
  • No AppleSMBIOS Patch

Try

• 10.5.6 Base System
  • Video: None
  • Chipset: None
  • Audio: None
  • Network: None
  • Patched USB Drivers
  • Voodoo Power
  • PS/2 Keyboard Fix
  • SMBIOS Resolver

Should I boot with -f?

Boot with -v -f and report any boot screen freezes etc....

Does the same thing. Says "family specific matching fails" alot. Not sure what that means.

Is the boot screen frozen or is it continuing to update....

It shows a screen with a bunch of text. It keeps spewing more out until it gets out of that and to a light blue screen. Then about two seconds later it goes to a black screen and just stays there forever.

Last thing I saw was something about ocspd. No error or anything.

It shows a screen with a bunch of text. It keeps spewing more out until it gets out of that and to a light blue screen. Then about two seconds later it goes to a black screen and just stays there forever.

OK try this.....boot with - v -x and let me know what happens.....

same exact thing but doesn't give me the family specific matching fails anymore.

OK try this.....

Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear and the type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf *X3100*
exit

and report what happens.....

After I typed the second thing in it started to do something and gave me slot of txt I couldn't read cause it went so fast. But whatever it was it looked sucessful. But the same exact thing happened after I started.

What a stubborn pc.

After I typed the second thing in it started to do something and gave me slot of txt I couldn't read cause it went so fast. But whatever it was it looked sucessful. But the same exact thing happened after I started.

Boot again with -v -f and let me know what happens.....

Same :( now you know why I'm so frustrated.

I may have tracked a route for successfull getting the video going for you......try this procedure posted by pyrates.....do a fresh install of iPC 10.5.6 as before......and then do as follows:

Sorry, it only happens when it is first booting up after a fresh install. So when installing, don't select any video card drivers, you'll install them afterwards. Upon first boot, use -s to boot into single user mode and remove the X3100 kexts that for some reason still get installed using these commands:

# rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*

# rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

# reboot

Download the X3100 kext from here. Install using Kext Helper b7 except for the natit kext. Then get sleepdisplay from here. Then do this:

Before you start drooling and examining your Mac-powered laptop, click on the Apple and go to System Preferences.

Click on "Expose & Spaces" and then click the "Expose" button. On one of the Active Screen Corners select "Sleep

Display." I chose the lower left-hand corner. Go ahead and exit out of that and reboot. When the screen goes blank,

move your finger down towards the corner you selected. It may take a few imaginary strokes since you can't see the

mouse pointer.

1. put sleepdisplay into /bin

# sudo -su

(put in your password)

2. set sleepdisplay to proper permissions

# chmod 755 /bin/sleepdisplay

# chown 0:0 /bin/sleepdisplay

3. Edit /etc/rc.local and add this to it:

# vi /etc/rc.local

# cat /etc/rc.local

/bin/sleepdisplay

# chmod 755 /etc/rc.local

# chown 0:0 /etc/rc.local

Then you can go to System Preferences, go to security, and disable automatic login. Then upon booting up, wait until the activity

light stops blinking and move the mouse anywhere and the display will popup. If it doesn't, it has selected your newly installed login

as default and just enter in the password, then move the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner to bring up the display.

When I type in the first step the list comes up with all the file that should have been deleted but it says read-only filesystem and doesn't delete.

After booting with -s and on getting the :/ root# prompt, type (then press Enter as usual)....

mount -uw /

then continue with the pyrates procedure......

What is the password I should use for the kext helper?

Try using root.....if that does not work.....then try this:

1. Run single user mode using the -s as you are now used to doing..... :(

2. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing "passwd root" at the ":/ root#" prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing

"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt

5. Boot the system by typing "exit" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

6. Reboot from HDD with "-v -f" and the OS X Login screen is presented; enter "root" as Name and for Password, the root password chosen previously, and the system logs you in as System Administrator.

:mellow: I must have screwed up somewhere because it freezes when i boot at the light blue screen...

Oh and the sleepdisplay download link is dead

Edit: just deleted the video drivers again and it's working.