quick p35 ds4 power related question.

steenamaroo

6 posts in this topic

hi everyone,

i hate to have to do this, as there are lengthy guide for this board, but it seems my problem is unique, or well hidden.

it seems fairly simple.

i used to run 10.5.5 without the fault,

then 10.5.6, but it didn't work out well with protools

so i reverted to my old setup as follows.

This is when the fault ocurred (although i didn't do a reinstall. i restored a backup copy of my original 10.5.5.)

i run the following.

ideneb 10.5.5 with vanilla kernel and efi gfx strings.

GB p35ds4 rev 2.1 bios f12

2.4 e6600 @ 3.0ghz(running very very cool)

8gb ocz 1066 ram (3.2)

2 x 512mb nvidia 7600gs (512mb)

all is flawless (literally) except that shutdown only works fully sometimes.

most of the time it leaves the fans running, which to be honest, i could tolerate,,

however,,,i knock the ac power off at night, and when i boot every morning, the machine powers up for about 2 seconds with fans spinning, the immediately reboots?, then proceeds to boot as normal.

I've checked my bios settings in accordance with the p35ds4 retail guide and i can't find a reason why mine false starts everyday.

there is no video output with the false start. It's literally just two seconds of fans spinning, then it's as if you'd hit the reboot button.

anyway, if anyone knows why this could be, I'd love to hear it!

thanks for your time everyone.

Steenamaroo.

ok, it seems that the issue doesn't occur if i disable my overclock...

the overclock is a straight forward one...

e6600 bumped to 3.0 (333x9) with no voltage increase.

memory at 3.2 1066mhz +0.3v (2.2 for ocz reaper)

it's always been stable under extreme load,,,,,so,,can anyone think why i would get this weird boot issue with an overclock on?

gona give this a bump,,,,

i notice, it wont happen after shutting down an xp boot.....

only osx.

i'm currently running fine with no overclock, but it'd be nice to know why this happens on OC...

gona give this a bump,,,,

i notice, it wont happen after shutting down an xp boot.....

only osx.

i'm currently running fine with no overclock, but it'd be nice to know why this happens on OC...

My set up is very similar I'm running a e2160 @ 3Ghz and 800 memory at 1066. I don't have any probs. Do you have openhaltrestart.kext? if not get it from pystars website. If you do have it installed I would try a small voltage increase on the processor to see if it makes any difference or perhaps small voltage increase on memory.