OSX 10.5.6 installed on the Asus eeeTop ET1602

bitstra

19 posts in this topic

For those, who think about trying OSX on the Asus eeeTop ET1602, like I did it.

I've got working two Dual boot scenarios - the Asus orig. XP + OSX 10.5.6 and a complete fresh Install with Win7 beta 1 + OSX 10.5.6.

Booth scens are working stable.

First at all I've upgraded the 1 Meg RAM to 2 Megs - and installed the actual orig. BIOS by Asus!

What is working on the OSX-side (?):

boot with all kernels (only with ACPI- and CPUS=1-patches)

- GMA945 with CI/QE (but only with 1024x768 px/stretched) via GMA950.kext for eeeBox and orig. 10.5.6 FrameBuffer

- Sound (only int. speaker / no other In/Out) via patched AppleAzalia.kext

- USB Keyboard/-Mouse (ootb)

- LAN ootB

-WifI with a new RT2860_Ralink_Installer - Package

whats not working for the moment:

- TouchScreen !!! (only single tap on current mouse-position, no cursor-movement)

- no GMA945 resolution other then "1024x768 - stretched"

so I#m looking forward to get the Touchscreen and Resolution working. Hope this could be interest for some of you...

If so, I could write a InstallHowTO up to my actual state.

I've got working two Dual boot scenarios - the Asus orig. XP + OSX 10.5.6 and a complete fresh Install with Win7 beta 1 + OSX 10.5.6.

Booth scens are working stable.

First at all I've upgraded the 1 Meg RAM to 2 Megs - and installed the actual orig. BIOS by Asus!

- GMA945 with CI/QE (but only with 1024x768 px/stretched) via GMA950.kext for eeeBox and orig. 10.5.6 FrameBuffer

- USB Keyboard/-Mouse (ootb)

- LAN ootB

-WifI with a new RT2860_Ralink_Installer - Package

whats not working for the moment:

- TouchScreen !!! (only single tap on current mouse-position, no cursor-movement)

- no GMA945 resolution other then "1024x768 - stretched"

so I#m looking forward to get the Touchscreen and Resolution working. Hope this could be interest for some of you...

Hi have the ASUS ET1602 (EEE Top) and would love to install OSX. Can you share your knowledge for install? (howto) It would be great to get the touchscreen working of course, as I use it currently with no keyboard and mouse...

regards

Hi have the ASUS ET1602 (EEE Top) and would love to install OSX. Can you share your knowledge for install? (howto) It would be great to get the touchscreen working of course, as I use it currently with no keyboard and mouse...

regards

Hi,

willing to write a small HowTo today evening, but you can be prepared by toasting a DVD with the iPC_oSx_10.5.6_final-distro... hope you you'll find a DL for this via your preferred search engine...

so be prepared and have about 50 minutes for reading and installing at all on your kitchen-table-PC by asus.

regards bitstra

would be great if leopard works on an eeetop.

i love this asus and leopard would be a great system for this system.

i am wishfully waiting for your Tutorial!!

Hope you'll find an solution for the right monitor resolution and Touch functionality!

which driver do you use for the Touch Controller?

regards

COOL

thanks

my eeePC is working!!!

on of my question ist:

the ichat..

when i start my ichat and go to Setup, and click to Video-Audio...the ichat Crash

when i start a Videochat of my ichat...Crash

when i go to other Computer and send an Video-chat...the ichat of the eeePC Crash

can help me!!

when you release you Manual to install this Computer.

THANKS

which Monitor Resolution do you use? and the Touch works?

NEW Information:

http://www.touch-base.com/http/08042009164656/macx.sit

Touchbase build a driver fort the asus eeetop!!!!!! OS X 10.5 Intel!!!!!

Please make a short comment

DEMO Version 50 Clicks

Full version costs 180 Eur

What about the Graphic Card Driver??? is there any higher resolution possible???

• 2 weeks later...
which Monitor Resolution do you use? and the Touch works?

NEW Information:

http://www.touch-base.com/http/08042009164656/macx.sit

Touchbase build a driver fort the asus eeetop!!!!!! OS X 10.5 Intel!!!!!

Please make a short comment

DEMO Version 50 Clicks

Full version costs 180 Eur

What about the Graphic Card Driver??? is there any higher resolution possible???

hi

Thanks

i have installes my Touchscreen Driver from the Touchbase...i have buy it,

the Resolution is the 1024x768

highter i dont care..

im installed the SwitchResX....and NO...i dont can go to highter Resolution...

normal is the 1366x768...

so

my Problem is the Sound IN!!

the Drivers not can support the MIC-IN

Sound OUT, ists OK! with azalia Audio....

and the Sound IN?

have you an solution?

Thanks

simply try an USB -> Audio InOut Dongle

p.E. Griffen or a cheaper Dongle from Ebay (start at 4 Eur)

What about the Monitor Resolution:

is it squeezed or on the left and right side a black bar

Touch work probably?

PS ich glaube wir könne auch Deutsch schreiben (bin aus Österreich)

PS vielleicht könne wir mal die Treiber austauschen (direkt oder so)

• 2 weeks later...

My BIOS is already updated - can you post your .ROM file?

Have you tried the new VoodooHDA.kext as a replacement for the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext? It's showing great promise. LINK

I tried booting with the 132 and then Retail DVD and hangs and won't boot. I also tried the MSiWindOSX86 DVD and it too hangs. I'm still d/l the iPC 10.5.6 DVD, hopefully that one will work. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update: Well I was able to d/l iDeneb v1.3 and 1.4 (10.5.5 and 10.5.6 respectively). I got 10.5.5 installed by booting with "cpus=1" (which is odd because it IS only one cpu). Anyhow I tried a couple times with 10.5.6 and the install always runs but I can't get it to restart (perhaps I'm selecting an incorrect patch or fix). The iPC 10.5.6 finally finished and I'm burning the DVD now and I'll test it, hopefully today.

I was also able to get the touch screen working with that touch-base driver <- thanks

Edit: Looks like I'm talking to myself... :(

I finally installed 10.5.6 via iPC and it's working okay, with 1024x768 but no sleep. What's the secret to getting the display to turn off and the system to wake up from sleep??? Thanks

Oh and I made an Automator script to reset the Touch Screen driver ($100 is just too much for a driver). ;)

Edit 2: Okay, sleep kind of works, it just doesn't turn off the display (guess that's why it has a button that does this). Installed EyeTV 3 and it works fine. I also installed a Realtek b/g card I had left over from one of my MSi Wind's. Software works much better than the Ralink {censored}.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested but I've just picked up EEETop (For KitchenPC/intercom/remote control) and Ubuntu Remix works great, but OSX seems to work pretty well too.

1366x768 can be forced following the advice related to the X4500 by consono in this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...29744&st=40

and installing EEE1000H AppleIntel950 kexts and removing framebuffer gets QE working - otherwise the graphics interface is really slooooow. This of course allows ichat, timemachine, imovie etc to work.

Looks like voodoo audio works nicely through the speakers, external microphone works but internal does not (not recognised by voodoo).

• 1 month later...

Greg

Any chance of a copy of your Automator script for resetting the driver?

I've managed to get 10.5.7 installed using iDeneb 1.5, it gets to the Apple Intro, and then the screen goes black - I think it must be a GMA kext issue, so I'm going to try again and tweak my settings.

Any help would be much appreciated!

John M

My BIOS is already updated - can you post your .ROM file?

Have you tried the new VoodooHDA.kext as a replacement for the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext? It's showing great promise. LINK

I tried booting with the 132 and then Retail DVD and hangs and won't boot. I also tried the MSiWindOSX86 DVD and it too hangs. I'm still d/l the iPC 10.5.6 DVD, hopefully that one will work. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update: Well I was able to d/l iDeneb v1.3 and 1.4 (10.5.5 and 10.5.6 respectively). I got 10.5.5 installed by booting with "cpus=1" (which is odd because it IS only one cpu). Anyhow I tried a couple times with 10.5.6 and the install always runs but I can't get it to restart (perhaps I'm selecting an incorrect patch or fix). The iPC 10.5.6 finally finished and I'm burning the DVD now and I'll test it, hopefully today.

I was also able to get the touch screen working with that touch-base driver <- thanks

Edit: Looks like I'm talking to myself... :D

I finally installed 10.5.6 via iPC and it's working okay, with 1024x768 but no sleep. What's the secret to getting the display to turn off and the system to wake up from sleep??? Thanks

Oh and I made an Automator script to reset the Touch Screen driver ($100 is just too much for a driver). :)

Edit 2: Okay, sleep kind of works, it just doesn't turn off the display (guess that's why it has a button that does this). Installed EyeTV 3 and it works fine. I also installed a Realtek b/g card I had left over from one of my MSi Wind's. Software works much better than the Ralink {censored}.

Hi John,

I have no idea how to use Automator,

but if you bring up a terminal window and become the root user you can use cron to reset the driver

sudo su

crontab -e

* * * * * /usr/bin/killall tbupddwu

<esc>:wq

this basically causes the touchscreen daemon to respawn each minute.

If you remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext you should get the screen back. The problem with the

EEETop seems to be that the LVDS output is connected to PipeB but the framebuffer cannot determine this - I'm not sure if a DSDT patch can fix this or a hack to the framebuffer, but the only side effect of this is the inability to sleep the computer and since you can turn the screen of with hardware button its not that big a deal.

The only other issue is the internal mic is non-functional - under ALSA it occupies a separate card under the same codec? and for the life of me I cannot find how to control it except that you need to alter coeffcient registers - this is unlikely to ever be supported by AppleHDA unless a bona fide mac uses the same audio chip. The simple work around is to use voodoo audio and the external mic with a $10(AUS) 3.5mm jack microphone.

Hope this helps!

Steve

addendum - if you want 1366x768 and you are prepared to install grub2 I can post the appropriate files to get i915 module to work.

Steve

Thanks for your help! I'd be happy to install grub2, so if you could post the files, that'd be great!

Regards

John M

Hi John,

I have no idea how to use Automator,

but if you bring up a terminal window and become the root user you can use cron to reset the driver

sudo su

crontab -e

* * * * * /usr/bin/killall tbupddwu

<esc>:wq

this basically causes the touchscreen daemon to respawn each minute.

If you remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext you should get the screen back. The problem with the

EEETop seems to be that the LVDS output is connected to PipeB but the framebuffer cannot determine this - I'm not sure if a DSDT patch can fix this or a hack to the framebuffer, but the only side effect of this is the inability to sleep the computer and since you can turn the screen of with hardware button its not that big a deal.

The only other issue is the internal mic is non-functional - under ALSA it occupies a separate card under the same codec? and for the life of me I cannot find how to control it except that you need to alter coeffcient registers - this is unlikely to ever be supported by AppleHDA unless a bona fide mac uses the same audio chip. The simple work around is to use voodoo audio and the external mic with a $10(AUS) 3.5mm jack microphone.

Hope this helps!

Steve

addendum - if you want 1366x768 and you are prepared to install grub2 I can post the appropriate files to get i915 module to work.

Jastr

It's running fine, touch screen is working, just waiting for files from 'idoc' to get higher screen res. Apart from that, all is pretty stable. I used iDeneb 1.5 with 'iDeneb essential patch' and 'Netbook > EeePC' checked (nothing else!). The machine boots to a black screen with the Leopard intro music playing. Reboot in Single user mode (type -s at the boot prompt) then type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

This allows access to the file system...

then:

cd System/Library/Extensions

ls

This gives you an on screen list of Extensions:

Then:

sudo rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
sudo rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

also remove anything alse with 'GMA950' in it, and Natit.kext

Now:

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext

(Use ls to relist the directory contents to make sure the files have been deleted)

then:

exit

The machine will reboot, and you should now have your screen back with 1024 x 768 resolution

You can now use kext helper to install the patched AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Hope this helps!

J.

How is this OS X on eeetop running for you guys today?? I've just got one and would love to install mac os x.

Hi Guys,

Please install Grub2 here are the detailed instructions

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-g...-on-ubuntu-9.04

(or use Karmic)

I have edited grub.conf and added

915resolution 34 1366 768

menuentry "Leopard" {

set root=(hd0,0)

multiboot (hd0,2)/boot

}

before the Ubuntu menuentry.

I have Leopard installed on the first partition and Ubuntu on the second.

Then add the 915resolution.mod file to the /boot/grub/ directory.

When the grub bootloader loads up the darwin bootloader type ?video to confirm additional vesa modes are available

and you can boot with "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" and add this to com.apple.Boot.plist

Under System Profiler you should have

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Apart from sleep the only problem (so far) with removing the Apple framebuffer is that you cannot run a vnc server without a kernel panic.

Archive.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Please install Grub2 here are the detailed instructions

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-g...-on-ubuntu-9.04

(or use Karmic)

I have edited grub.conf and added

915resolution 34 1366 768

menuentry "Leopard" {

set root=(hd0,0)

multiboot (hd0,2)/boot

}

before the Ubuntu menuentry.

I have Leopard installed on the first partition and Ubuntu on the second.

Then add the 915resolution.mod file to the /boot/grub/ directory.

When the grub bootloader loads up the darwin bootloader type ?video to confirm additional vesa modes are available

and you can boot with "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" and add this to com.apple.Boot.plist

Under System Profiler you should have

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Apart from sleep the only problem (so far) with removing the Apple framebuffer is that you cannot run a vnc server without a kernel panic.

Followed your advice and everything is working nice now in native resolution!

Thank you soo much for this!!

Maybe e few words to help others get things right quicker than I did:

• during GRUB2-configuration under linux: Do NOT edit the grub.cfg-file itself, edit the files in /etc/grub.d/xx-something instead
  • make sure you added the line "insmod 915resolution" to /etc/grub.d/00_headers before doing "sudo update-grub"

thx again idoc!

the performance of the TouchBase-Driver seems not really good to me. since they charge a lot of money for it, it should really be nearly as good as under Linux (IMHO). maybe i missed something here?

with native resolution my EEETop 1602 feels much better. Leopard is running pretty stable now and performance is OK for such a 'cheap' machine. nice.

cheers and thank you all

benny

• 2 months later...