Intergrating OS 9.2

1 post in this topic

I know, I know, but we have about 25 iMac G3s that the school want to make use of in some limited form, even if it is only using Office apps and Internet.

They currently run OS9.2 and we don't want to spend money on OS X (which they will run, I tried it).

I don't want to make too many changes ot our existing Windows domain but I will make some if needs be.

What I had at my last office was 21 iMac G5s running Leopard and the students sometimes needed access to a windows share using their own accoutn so I wrote a script similar to this and put it in their Dock.

tell application "Finder"
try
	mount volume "smb://yournetwork login:yourpassword@server/share"
on error
	display dialog "Share may not have mounted!"
end try
end tell

When the users ran the script they got a login window where they entered their own account details and the share got mounted on their desktop. Ideally I would like something similar which will give them ad hoc access to their home are on the windows file server.

If I need to write it a script on another system I have access at home to 10.4 and 10.5 if I need it.

I have looked into using software like Dave and ADmitMac but neither worked that well, in fact dave didn't work at all.

Any ideas?