Sonar 5 vs. Logic...

Deviant0ne

4 posts in this topic

I've been a long time user of Cakewalk Sonar (since version 1), but I was looking into trying out some Mac Pro-Audio programs. I'm just wondering if anything Apple has to offer would be better than what I'm using now (Sonar Producer Edition 5)... Has anyone used both? What would you prefer and why?

Also - I've been searching for a good mastering program. I've used Magix Sequoia, but i feel it's time for something new. Any suggestions (Mac or otherwise)?

I think this depends on your work. If you're a musician, Logic is an interessting product. On PC, I tried also CuBase 3.0 and Samplitude 8 (which is for mastering my favorite, it still has the best audio engine).

For smaller white label/beatmixing productions look also at Sony's Acid 6.0 and Ableton Live.

dripple

I think this depends on your work. If you're a musician, Logic is an interessting product. On PC, I tried also CuBase 3.0 and Samplitude 8 (which is for mastering my favorite, it still has the best audio engine).

For smaller white label/beatmixing productions look also at Sony's Acid 6.0 and Ableton Live.

dripple

I have to agree with dripple on this one...on an honest note it really does depend on what you are aiming to do. Logic is a very complex sequencer if you use it to its full potential....more complex than most users would want. However, personally, i feel that it is the easiest sequencing package to feel your way around....i dunno, stuff just seems to flow better in Logic. Thats without even talking about all the plugins and instrument you get - they serve as a great basis on which to build ideas. As standard with Logic Pro you get such plugins as the EVP88 electic piano, EVD6 Clav, EXS24 - an amazingly good sampler, ES1 and ES2 synths as well as effects such as space designer (in my opinion altiverb is better but hey), as well as simple plugins such as distortion, tape delay and modulation effects.

If you have any external studio hardware Logic also provides the best way to seamlessly integrate it into your virtual stuio by means of the Logic environment. This little baby allows you to virtually wire your entire studio within Logic, as well as use modules such as transformers, switches, virtual faders etc.

If you're looking to expand your potential creativity, Logic is the way to go - the way it works as a sequencer has changed the way a lot of people work.

However, if you're just looking for a simple package to put beats together on Logic may be a bit excessive...cubase and nuendo provide good solutions as does ableton live, which has the added bonus of being fun to use too!!!

If you wanna start on Logic theres plenty of people to help you out here, and if you run into any trouble that remains unanswered shoot me a pm and ill do my best :angry:

-JD-