Networking / file sharing problems

noNix

5 posts in this topic

I have three machines on my network:

Hackintosh - GA-G31M-ES2L board + retail install + OSXUniversal Installer

iMac 10.5.6

MacBook 10.5.6

File Sharing is only working in one direction.

The Hack can connect to the other machines and share files, but neither of the two Macs can connect via File Sharing to the Hack.

Both of the Macs can connect to the Hack through Screen Sharing, so I can control the Hack remotely, but not transfer files to it.

I have gone over all the sharing settings, and they are identical on all three machines.

The Hack is connected to the network via built in (wired) ethernet. Switching to a USB ethernet adaptor makes no difference.

Internet access works without a problem.

iTunes sharing works - I can play iTunes music located on the Hack

The only networking kext that is installed is the RealtekR1000.kext

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry for stating what might be obvious but have you tried checking the cable? I had something weird pop up like that at the office after accidentally rolling over the cable with my chair. I replaced it and all was well.

I am sure you remembered to enable file sharing - LOL ... for real though, can you ssh into the machine and initiate transfers that way.

You could try setting up an ftp server and see if it allows transfers that way (just to check if its an issue with the card or configs).

I was going to say Bonjour issue but since you can screen share that's probably not the case...

FTP access to the Hack works, but AFP does not.

What I have tried / done is use screen sharing from the iMac to the Hack, and then initiated file sharing from the Hack to the iMac. That works, but is the long way round when I should be able to click on the Hack in the Finder side bar and then just drag and drop as I can with other machines.

This is VERY odd indeed.

I have tried to recreate the problem (intentionally breaking a few things) and cant even come close...

I wonder wonder what would happen if you backed up your install and applied the 10.5.6 combo update over your install?

I have done this before to fix other anomalies.

I will keep digging but since you have already tried another NIC, other than you getting a second drive and trying the install again or applying the combo update over your current install to "reset" anything that may be off, I am not certain as to what else you could try.

I will let you know if I come to any revelation (I do have a couple other ideas but I want to look into them first).

Regards,

Searay

This is VERY odd indeed.

I have tried to recreate the problem (intentionally breaking a few things) and cant even come close...

I wonder wonder what would happen if you backed up your install and applied the 10.5.6 combo update over your install?

I have done this before to fix other anomalies.

I will keep digging but since you have already tried another NIC, other than you getting a second drive and trying the install again or applying the combo update over your current install to "reset" anything that may be off, I am not certain as to what else you could try.

I will let you know if I come to any revelation (I do have a couple other ideas but I want to look into them first).

Regards,

Searay

Thanks so much for your help.

Before posting here I did a search on Apple discussions and saw that there were a few people who were having File Sharing issues that were similar, but nobody had found any real fix. I think re-installing the combo update might be worth a try, and I do have a spare (cloned) version of my boot drive so I will give that a try in the next few days. One other thing I tried was fixing permissions, but that voodoo rarely works so I wasn't expecting it to help, and it didn't.