Hackint0sh in G5 Case Concept

Thath0r

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks!

I've started concepting my G5 hackintosh, which I will begin to build in a couple of weeks.

The Hardware-list is the following:

Mainboard:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

CPU:

Intel Core i7 920 BOX, Quad Core, 2.66 GHz

RAM:

Corsair TR3X6G1600C9, 3x2GB, DDR3-1600

GPU:

ZOTAC 9800GT AMP!, PCI-E x16, 512MB GDDR3

DVD Drive:

Samsung WriteMaster 20x DVD±RW Writer, P-ATA

HDD (2x):

Western Digital Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 16MB, 640GB, SATA-II

Power Supply Unit:

Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU, 400W

CPU cooling unit:

Asus Triton 81

Would you suggest me to go with the i7? Or is it wise to take a cheaper C2Q?

Anyway, that's the Hardware and here's some concept art: :D

*Click me*

I thought about making the vents out of plexi glass, because that looks nice and gives it that kind of original G5 Look. The HDD's will be in an iCage, which has already a built-in fan, thats why i have no fans to cool the HDD's.

About the GPU cooling unit I'm still thinking - I think, won't buy it. And about the PSU: I'll anyway need to modify it to fit in the lower part of the case and power cable port. so it will be some kind of "open" and the 40mm fans are supposed to blow through that open stuff.

BTW: What do you think of buying a cheap ATX case (~40$) and use the parts of it to fit in Mainboard and Stuff?

So please, tell me your opinion about the arrangement of the cooling stuff and the rest of course, too. As it's the first time for a long time standard mac user like me to build a PC/Mac/Hackintosh, I'd really appreaciate it.

Thanks in advance,

/Thath0r

Sounds good man! Let me know how the PSU works out for you. I'm going to try putting mine inside the G5's PSU enclosure as well. As far the as the ATX case for parts: what I'm doing in my mod is using the side panel from an ATX case, cutting it to size, and then drilling some holes where the G5's standoffs are so I can just mount the panel and use the original PC standoffs for the motherboard. Good luck though, man. Those are some awesome specs you've got. And definitely go with the i7.

Sounds good man! Let me know how the PSU works out for you. I'm going to try putting mine inside the G5's PSU enclosure as well. As far the as the ATX case for parts: what I'm doing in my mod is using the side panel from an ATX case, cutting it to size, and then drilling some holes where the G5's standoffs are so I can just mount the panel and use the original PC standoffs for the motherboard. Good luck though, man. Those are some awesome specs you've got. And definitely go with the i7.

Thanks, man. There are guys around insanelymac who actually did this (PSU in G5 PSU enclosure). And it looks damn sweet! :) Yeah, lucky for you - but I've got no ATX side panel. Well, I could buy it but in order to get a nice rear look, I think I'll buy a whole cheap ATX case. You never know what for... ;);)

Well, awesome specs - yes. But it also got it's price^^. about 1900 USD, including some 22" Display or so. Anyway, I don't have time to build it yet, so I'll post when I got some progress.

And hell yeah, the i7 is a monster! ;)

GreeZe

Having just JB Welded the standoffs of my ATX motherboard in place, your rendition doesn't reflect the true sizing of the motherboard:

1. the DVD & motherboard are closer. My Pioneer (one of the longer drives, others may be 1cm shorter) & motherboard overlap. It isn't a problem as they aren't on the same plane, but the motherboard is behind the DVD drive my about 5mm.

2. An ATX motherboard is longer than in your rendition - it needs to extend into either the drive or PSU zone by at least 1cm. In my case, my motherboard is about 7mm above the plane of the top edge of the PSU plug. The drive plate intersect my motherboard in the middle of the last PCI slot - I cut the plate.

If you mean iCage as in Thermaltake iCage, I don't think it will fit in the upper drive zone area. I know for sure a 120mm fan won't fit. Just seating a 3rd drive would require jumping through hoops because the steel frame surround requires you to angle things to get to the top of the case. I'm not saying that 3 can't be done.... A PSU can be squeezed into the space - that's 86mm.

I see a bold black line between the 120mm fans & the rear of the case - zoning? I love it! In fact, I have very much the same concept in my case (its party finished). Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't arrange things as nicely as yours.

I'm not a big fan of the 40mm fans - i want it quiet, and the bigger you get, the slower you can go. 60mm fit there just fine, but may not suit what you are planning.

I look forward to seeing what it looks like.

i'm running a powermac i7 at the minute ;)

check the main thread in a week or 2. ill be uploading a ruck of pictures when i get it finished. ive watercooled mine. phase one is to get it in and working, phase two is to neaten it up! I will at some point introduce zoning such as in your concept to bring it closer to the g5 it once was, but as this has been dragging on for 3 years now, i want to get it finished!

good luck with your mod!

smoothy

• 3 weeks later...
Having just JB Welded the standoffs of my ATX motherboard in place, your rendition doesn't reflect the true sizing of the motherboard:

1. the DVD & motherboard are closer. My Pioneer (one of the longer drives, others may be 1cm shorter) & motherboard overlap. It isn't a problem as they aren't on the same plane, but the motherboard is behind the DVD drive my about 5mm.

2. An ATX motherboard is longer than in your rendition - it needs to extend into either the drive or PSU zone by at least 1cm. In my case, my motherboard is about 7mm above the plane of the top edge of the PSU plug. The drive plate intersect my motherboard in the middle of the last PCI slot - I cut the plate.

First of all: Thanks a lot! Your advices are worth pure gold. I didn't know that. Of course, It'll only be a challenge, not an obstacle. ;)

If you mean iCage as in Thermaltake iCage, I don't think it will fit in the upper drive zone area. I know for sure a 120mm fan won't fit. Just seating a 3rd drive would require jumping through hoops because the steel frame surround requires you to angle things to get to the top of the case. I'm not saying that 3 can't be done.... A PSU can be squeezed into the space - that's 86mm.

Yeah, I also thought about that. As I don't have the case right now, I haven't got the possibility to take measures. If it doesn't fit in, I'll find another place for it. I'm not sure, but doesn't the G5 have 3 HDD slots there? -_-

I see a bold black line between the 120mm fans & the rear of the case - zoning? I love it! In fact, I have very much the same concept in my case (its party finished). Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't arrange things as nicely as yours.

Yes, it is. I want to make it out of plexiglass, which can easily be bended with a hot air gun or something similar.

Actually, I don't know at this point whether it'll really fit in and arrange as I've planned - Because I don't have all the parts and Case at the moment. So, I may need to rearrange stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the 40mm fans - i want it quiet, and the bigger you get, the slower you can go. 60mm fit there just fine, but may not suit what you are planning.

I don't like 'em either, but as I can't take measures of the case, I took the 40mm in the concept. But if 60mm fits in, I'll of course stick to 60mm. Thanks!

I look forward to seeing what it looks like.

Aww, you gotta wait a long, long time. Im looking forward to starting the project in july, though the case will arrive in 1-2 weeks. But the rest has to wait, 'cause I'm quite occupied with school matters. :(

Thanks again, dude. Looking forward to see pics of yours! :)

@ ѕӎѳѳҭңӌ: That's nice to hear. Thank god, there are people running an i7 successfully. That really motivates me. can't wait for ur pics!

I wish you good luck, too.

/Thath0r

As I don't have the case right now, I haven't got the possibility to take measures. If it doesn't fit in, I'll find another place for it. I'm not sure, but doesn't the G5 have 3 HDD slots there?

No, the original rack stores only 2 drives. The bottom one goes right in. The top drive has the rear screws go in the middle slot, but then it zigzags up to the top - and the front screws go in the top slot. The middle slot isn't available as a storage space - only to maneuver the upper drive in& out.

OrigG5.jpg

Looking forward to see pics of yours!

I just happened to have wrapped up the majority of my mod. Still have to mount the 120mm fan & waiting on 2 60mm Sanyo fans. Plus a CPU cooler - requiring me to pull out everything to get at the motherboard... Here are some pix of where it will be for ahile:

plexiinplace.jpg

forward.jpg

rearward.jpg

innards.jpg

rear-1.jpg

mobointodrivezone.jpg

I bought my case in early January. I had cardboard mockups - still screwed up in places. Lots of compromises had to be made - just the other night I discovered I lacked the Herculean strength needed to bend the 1/8" thick aluminum plate the PCI zone plate is made of. The plexi bump-ins which I so hated at first, I made into an asset - preventing plates from lateral movement. I'm still wondering how to mount the 120mm & 2x60mm fans - I fear some velcro may not be too far off [is there a facepalm emoticon?].

-------

If you are going to be pulling out the plate the drives sit on, you're gonna need a Torx T-8 bit & a 7/64" hex key (it could be metric in reality). If you are going to try removing the rear fan grill assembly, you are gonna need a #1 Philips bit. I got tired of the Microcenter/HomeDepot runs - you mind as well get some cheap ebay toolset while you can.

-------------------------------------------------------------

July 12, 2009 update

added a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler. Fits perfectly without any modifications. The CPU socket on the motherboard (Gigabyte EP45-UD3P) is positioned favorably so the cooler doesn't extend beyond the motherboard.

IMG_1420.jpg

And the whole interior with 2 drives (2.5TB total) in upper zone (only 1 60mm fan fits with all the cabling there). 9 total fans.

IMG_1424.jpg

Nice mod, there and also nice zoning! So you used Aluminium for the zoning, right? As I'm not very talented in metal processing I'll stick to the plexiglass version. And everything can easily be attached to it (fans, etc.)

About the iCage: I thought about cutting out some space in the plate the drives sit on. So the iCage would fit in even so. But I'm going to think about all thsi when I got the Case and time to think 'bout it.

Thanks for your pics.

/Thath0r