vanilla Kernel Panic on update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 at 13%

thefrog

6 posts in this topic

Installed vanilla kernel boot 132 method with my 10.5.0 retail CD. Upgraded successfully to 10.5.4. Using PC-EFI v9. I used the "install kit" from here. Every time i try to install the 10.5.6 combo update I get a kernel panic at writing files at 13% (tried both downloading the update seperatly form apples website and using software update). I have the GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard and a Geforce 8400GS 256mb graphics card. I use EFI strings to get the video, network, and audio working.

Any ideas whats happening here?

Oh, when I go to reboot I get a kernel panic on boot after I try the install.

anyone? any tips to at least see what is causing the kernel panic? Or a place to start? It doesn't make any sense to me, i'm running a vanilla kernel on pretty close-spec hardware I don't get why copying files would cause a kernel panic

anyone? any tips to at least see what is causing the kernel panic? Or a place to start? It doesn't make any sense to me, i'm running a vanilla kernel on pretty close-spec hardware I don't get why copying files would cause a kernel panic

Place debug=0x144 in your com.apple.Boot.plist under Kernel Flags......and post screen shot when a kernel panic occurs.....

easier said than done :) i have to clone my HD so that when I get the kernel panic I don't kill my working install. I'm assuming that debug=0x144 makes the kernel panic screen give some sort of error message? I'll post up the kernel panic screen once I get it. thanks.

Yup, it was AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext. Got it on instal then deleted the kext and it boots right up. What exactly does CPUPMDisabler.kext do? Just disable that kext to keep from kernel panic-ing on install of the updates?

Also, now my sound doesn't work. I used EFI strings, and it worked before. Anyone got any ideas? Or suggestions on how to go about trouble-shooting?

Nevermind on the sound. Ended up that 10.5.6 replaced my AppleHDA.kext too. Put the old one back in and everything is working perfectly.

Built myself a completely updated and perfectly working hackintosh for about $300.

Thanks everybody!