Multiboot leopard + vista + xp

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

On my new hackintosh I wanna run three OS's; mac os x, vista and xp

Mac os x for Photoshop and webdesign, xp for gaming, and vista for daily use.

The question is; how i'm going to pull this off?, i've never ever build a hackintosh btw...

I was planning to first install Vista and then partition my drive into three parts (which file system for mac???) After that installing mac os x. Then I was planning to restore vista's bootloader with the repairing functionallity on the cd. After that i just wanna add mac os x to the vista boot loader with a program like easy bcd. And then XP, i think i'm just going to install that and again repair vista and again add it with easy bcd.

Is this going to work?

Thanks for helping this n00bzor ;)

EDIT: Sorry it deleted half of my guide. Here is the full thing:

The way i triple booted Leopard, Vista, and XP was simple. Although it does require two hard drives..

-I first installed Leopard on its own hard drive formatted with the GUID Partition scheme.

-Then from there i partitioned the second hard drive into MBR with two partitions. One for XP and the other for Vista. I left the first partition formatted as HFS. I will explain later. The second partition was NTFS.

-I installed XP to the SECOND partition. This is so that XP can see the partition its booted off as the C: drive.

-I then proceeded to install Vista x64 on the FIRST partition. I just formatted the FIRST partition to NTFS with Vista's Setup.

You will probably need a bootloader like Acronis or something to switch easily between drives. I personally use my mobos "Boot Device Selection" menu.

The advantage to installing it the way i did, is that Vista and XP both see their partition as the C: Drive when they are booted up. Its quite nice for installing programs to the default location.

Good luck!

~bmxer55

EDIT: Sorry it deleted half of my guide. Here is the full thing:

The way i triple booted Leopard, Vista, and XP was simple. Although it does require two hard drives..

-I first installed Leopard on its own hard drive formatted with the GUID Partition scheme.

-Then from there i partitioned the second hard drive into MBR with two partitions. One for XP and the other for Vista. I left the first partition formatted as HFS. I will explain later. The second partition was NTFS.

-I installed XP to the SECOND partition. This is so that XP can see the partition its booted off as the C: drive.

-I then proceeded to install Vista x64 on the FIRST partition. I just formatted the FIRST partition to NTFS with Vista's Setup.

You will probably need a bootloader like Acronis or something to switch easily between drives. I personally use my mobos "Boot Device Selection" menu.

The advantage to installing it the way i did, is that Vista and XP both see their partition as the C: Drive when they are booted up. Its quite nice for installing programs to the default location.

Good luck!

~bmxer55

Thanks ;)

But it isn't possible to run a tripleboot with one HDD?

• 2 weeks later...

But it isn't possible to run a tripleboot with one HDD?

I'm not sure i've never tried... You should report back on what you find out :)

Theoretically it should work, i would put OSX on the first partition and Vista on the second with XP on the third.