Hardware review before ordering

4 posts in this topic

Decided that I wanted to do this sooner rather than later, so I compiled all of the information I could today. After taking a few hours to pick parts and check compatibility, this is what I've come up with. Like many others, I've decided to go with the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 mobo with the i7 920 CPU.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - $288.99

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - $279.99

Video: GeForce 9800 GTX - $139.66

RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB - $166.00

HDD: Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm ($69.99 x2) - $139.98

DVD: LITE-ON 22x DVD Burner - $20.99

Power: Corsair 750w - $109.99

I've searched and read these forums for the past few days non-stop and I believe this is a setup that will work and work well. For the record, I plan on using the boot-132 method to install Leopard retail (I've already got the kext files specifically for the mobo). I don't want to accidentally miss something, though, so could someone give me a thumbs up on this? I want to ensure everything will be 100% working, and I think the parts I chose will help me achieve that.

One other side note: I'd like to put a card reader in there too, but I'm unaware of the compatibility with the hackintosh. I found this one, which would work fine, but I want to ensure it will be fully compatible before I waste $20.

Review my components if you will, and feel free to make suggestions :(

Really? I read this topic and from what I understood I'd be absolutely fine to install retail. If I'm not understanding something, though, please let me know.

You'll be just fine.

The current setup isn't running on a vanilla kernel, anyway. It's using Andy's Voodoo-based 9.6 kernel.

best of wishes,

MAJ