Would Like MB Recommendation

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking for a little guidance here. I currently have an Asus P5K-SE MB and after a lot of trial and error I managed to get a hackintosh up and running. Everything except the video card worked great.

Now I am transforming my PC into a HTPC. As luck has it my computer room is close to my living room. So I would like to get a MB that has a HDMI output for a simple hook up. I would like one that is an LGA 775 as I want to pop my current Core 2 Duo CPU in it.

I will be using the HTPC with windows and will also put my two SATA HDs in it, my SATA DVD RW and my 4 GBS of RAM. So basically just a MB swap. I also have a Audigy 2 soundcard and a Radeon x1650, I'd like to do away with both and go onboard.

Even though I'll be using it mostly under Windows I'd still like to play around with OS X, so a board that will take care of my main need plus one as compatible as possible with OS X would be much appreciated. I have looked around a bit and found a couple from ASUS and Gigabyte but am not sure which would be better or if there is another I'm missing or even something newer.

Thanks guys.

^^^^^^^That motherboard isn't stable with over two gigs or ram but if that isn't a problem look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135688

I think a much better choice right now if you want an all-in-one motherboard would be the Asus P5N7A-VM which while using the 9300 instead of the more powerful 9400 is completely compatible and running fine with over 2 gigs. You can read about it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148416

If you dont mind buying an external graphics card a good and very popular choice is to get the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L which is very cheap right now and while its not as new as the other two it can still handle 4 gigs of ram and 45nm processors.