Mac Mini equivalent (in size) as a server?

thysm00

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've not been around for a while, but some days ago i decided to build a simple and really small hackintosh.

I wanted to buy a time capsule, but when i saw the prices, i just thought: why not building a small hackintosh as i only need the wifi storage function.

So i googled a little and found this motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-GC230D + INTEL Atom 230 MINI ITX

produktbild_1901611.jpg

And this case:

46408558.jpg

There is some space for a 2.5hd and all the adapters for ide drives.

Dimensions : 56x220x200mm (HxLxP) and it includes an external power supply.

So it's really small :D

I added a 2gb memory stick and a sata hd that i had.

And the next step is attaching a mini pci broadcom wireless card, i already have the mini pci to pci adapter but i did not receive the flexible pci riser (5€ on ebay). But i already know that it will work as i used it before in another machine.

The system works really well (ide, sata, sound(alc662) shutdown, restart (sometimes hangs...), gma 950(without glitches)) and has a really low consuption. I used the xxx 10.5.5 and the iPC 10.5.6 and both worked well.

But now what i would like to do is using it as a server, i.e, without any screen, keyboard or mouse.

So it's kind of easy to do if you have a screen when installing, just enable screen sharing, file sharing and ssh, but i had to borrow one as i have (only ;) ) an 24inch imac and a macbook pro...

And next time i will have to reinstall it, i won't have the screen so is there a possibility to set up a user, and activate ssh and screen sharing remotely?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

[ ]

The system works really well (ide, sata, sound(alc662) shutdown, restart (sometimes hangs...), gma 950(without glitches)) and has a really low consuption. I used the xxx 10.5.5 and the iPC 10.5.6 and both worked well.

But now what i would like to do is using it as a server, i.e, without any screen, keyboard or mouse.

So it's kind of easy to do if you have a screen when installing, just enable screen sharing, file sharing and ssh, but i had to borrow one as i have (only :rolleyes: ) an 24inch imac and a macbook pro...

And next time i will have to reinstall it, i won't have the screen so is there a possibility to set up a user, and activate ssh and screen sharing remotely?

Thanks

This sounds interesting. Is it fanless? As far as remote management have a look at

http://www.readpixel.com/spyme/index.html

This seems to work without a monitor. Some remote tools require a monitor to be connected or at least to fool the system into thinking there is one.

One way or another you will have to set up ssh first or set the system up when you have a monitor. To set up users from a shell can be done using unix tools but the screen sharing (vnc) part seems trickier.

Why not just connect it to a TV to set it up?

ls

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds interesting. Is it fanless? As far as remote management have a look at

http://www.readpixel.com/spyme/index.html

This seems to work without a monitor. Some remote tools require a monitor to be connected or at least to fool the system into thinking there is one.

One way or another you will have to set up ssh first or set the system up when you have a monitor. To set up users from a shell can be done using unix tools but the screen sharing (vnc) part seems trickier.

Why not just connect it to a TV to set it up?

ls

Yep you can set it to be fanless but i suggest a little fan and maybe making some holes in the case to let it breathe.

For remote managment, the screen sharing of apple is just great.

And i found a way to install ssh, i just connect the mac to my video projector, i don't know why i did not think of it :)

As to the TV, i don't have any :)

But i guess there is a system file that can be modified to enable ssh and screen sharing, does somone know where it is?