10.5.6 install on GA-EP45-UD3R MB - Won't Boot!

ddeadserious

24 posts in this topic

Build a computer last night, here are the specs:

• GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard

• ATI HD 3850

• Dual Core Pentium 2.6GHz

• 4GB (2x2GB) GSkill RAM

• 1 500GB Seagate SATA HD

• Phillips 22x DVD-DL SATA optical drive

I have tried 4 different OS X distros to no avail - Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb 10.5.5, iDeneb 10.5.6, and lastly, iPC 10.5.6. I used this setup of drivers, just as the people in the wiki used:

• Kernel: Vanilla, no kernel selected

• Video drivers: None, ATI HD 3850

• Chipset drivers: Intel ICH10 SATA

• Audio: ALC889a

• Ethernet: Realtek R1000 onboard / Netgear GA311 (native OS/X support)

• USB drivers: Patched USB driver

• Power management: PowerManagement Package

• Fixes, patches: Dual Boot Time Sync; Shutdown/Restart fix

• DSDT patches: nothing

• AppleSMBIOS patch: SMBIOSResolver

• Bootloaders: nothing

The install with every one of them goes through without a hitch, i select the right drivers/kexts or whatever. iPC is ridiculously fast, like less than 8 minutes. iDeneb took 1.5+ hours each time. The install will complete as if nothing is wrong. Then it will go to boot, and it hangs at "Still waiting for root device"

I've messed with some of the CMOS setting to change the HD type as I read that could affect it, but it didn't.

I'm kind of at a loss with it, I spent 5+ hours on it last night, and I'd really hate to have XP as the main OS on this computer. I do have an actual Leopard retail DVD, and my next step is to use one of the boot assistant things with the retail DVD, but I just don't understand why iPC isn't working since it did for multiple others with the same MB...

Ideas? Thanks for the help in advance!

I just set the same board up with ipc last week. Everything works great. I did the same settings as you except i selected the dsdt patch. I also had my bios hd settings set ide.

So I reburned the iPC DVD at 4x, and reinstalled again. Went to boot, and it hung again, at "Still waiting for root device". So I tried setting the bios hd setting to IDE , as well as disabling the integrated IDE/SATA thing(ended up un-disabling that). Now it hangs at "/usr/bin/ch(something)[81]: Starting". Had to leave for work, which is where I'm at now, and I don't recall exactly what the ch-word was, and I ran out of time to mess with bios settings any more.

This is very frustrating - I bought this board because I read that plenty of others installed osx86 without issue on here. If I'd have known it wasn't going to work, I'd have bought a cheaper board and a core2quad to run Winblows on instead. :unsure:

I'm sure it will work. There must be something that you are missing. These might be obvious but ..

1) are you erasing the HD each time you do an install? I don't think iPC like installing over another copy of itself.

2) At the beginning of the Install, are you letting the OS verify your DVD? Do this at least once. It saved my butt from alot of aggrevation.

3) IMake sure your SATA HD & DVD are plugged into the orange SATA connectors and not the purple.

I'm sure it will work. There must be something that you are missing. These might be obvious but ..

1) are you erasing the HD each time you do an install? I don't think iPC like installing over another copy of itself.

2) At the beginning of the Install, are you letting the OS verify your DVD? Do this at least once. It saved my butt from alot of aggrevation.

3) IMake sure your SATA HD & DVD are plugged into the orange SATA connectors and not the purple.

1)I am erasing every time.

2)I haven't done that thus far, never have with any of my native OSX installs either. I'll try again and let it do it this time.

3) Roger that, nothing is plugged into the purple connectors.

Have you tried a Grub-DFE start disc + retail Leopard? It worked at first attempt for me (same mobo).

I tried that, but when I get to the "enter the hexidecimal" part, I tried every possible suggestion and combination of letters/numbers, and it just kicks me back to the "boot" prompt.

Just for the record, the line that it's hanging at is "Mar 17 20:14:18 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[83]: starting"

Going to try reinstalling and letting it verify my DVD.

Ugh.

Finished the vanilla install. Installed the realtek driver. Ran software update, applied all the updates, rebooted, rebooted again and now it won't boot.

I boot in verbose mode, and it stops at "InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID"

I boot in safe(-x) verbose mode and it hangs at "jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done." for a little while, then goes a bit and hangs at the same place as above.

I've already booted to the Leopard disc and ran Repair Permissions, as well as Verifying the Drive.

I suppose I'll reinstall Leopard yet again.

I reinstalled vanilla leopard, booted fine, manually installed 10.5.6 update and ethernet kext, rebooted, no problems. Then I installed the rest of the software updates, and ended right back up at the same "interfacenamer" hang when booting back up.

I'm skipping software update altogether for now, and I'm installing the 10.5.6 update manually. I'll then manually install all of the kexts and stuff. Until I find a fix for this, this is kind of my only option.

Hi There,

Try the following bios options, which helped in my case.

AHCI = off.

Raid Harddisk controller = off

Harddisk controller = SATA

Parallel ports = off

Serial ports = off

Network card = auto

Soundcard = auto

Also put your harddisk on another controller on your mobo. My attempts to boot from my raid controller never worked.

Remove 1 Gig ram, as sometiems 4 gig gives problems, later you can fix that when you booted once correctly with a kext.

Also dont overclock from the start.

Try with kalyway 10.5.2 as that one is the most mellow, the rest are more difficult from my opinion.

And dont select any patches or updates, see if that works.

Good luck playing around with these settings!

Dont worry 5+ hours i still nothing,.. i spend 1 week to get a good working 10.5.6. on my gigabyte 965p ds3 ;)

Thanks for the assistance guys.

I ended up giving up last night, but will pick it back up this weekend probably. I installed(yet again) a vanilla Leopard install with Leopard DVD and the GRUB-DFE boot cd.

Booted up the first time and installed this for my graphics card: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526

And I also tried to install the 10.5.6 combo update that I had previously used, but it error-ed every time.

I went to reboot and it hung at some SetDomainSecrets thing and I got pissed and went to bed.

Then to make things better, I tried to boot into my XP drive and it'd get to the main XP loading screen for about 1 second, flash a blue screen, and then immediately reboot. I reset everything in the BIOS to default and it finally booted correctly.

So.... Vanilla installed once AGAIN.

Installed the ethernet driver.

Rebooted. Cool.

Installed the 10.5.6 combo update downloaded direct from the Apple site.

Tried to reboot, but in the boot process it poops out.

If in verbose mode, it freezes at "jnl: unknown-dev: journal replace done."

If in GUI boot mode, it loads for a minute and then the screen just fills with artifacts and shapes and {censored}.

I'm done with the damn thing unless someone has some miraculous idea as to why this isn't working.

I'm really bad at giving up. I think the word is.... stubborn. Yeah, that's it.

Got it to boot in safe mode, followed this guide for my video card: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94090

Rebooted and now it hang, A-FRICKEN-GAIN at "configd[35]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID"

Need to figure out how the hell to fix this interfacenamer {censored}.

Dont give up. Here are some other suggestions:

1) i have to wonder if you hareware is stable in the first place. You said you got a bsod in xp? Run memtest (2.1 ?) in xp and make sure your ram is ok.

2) try iPC again and do not select any drvers... Nothing! It will default with vesa video drivers. Crappy but something. If it works then add kexts one by one.

3) make sure you boot with -f -v flags on first boot after install.

Dont give up. Here are some other suggestions:

1) i have to wonder if you hareware is stable in the first place. You said you got a bsod in xp? Run memtest (2.1 ?) in xp and make sure your ram is ok.

2) try iPC again and do not select any drvers... Nothing! It will default with vesa video drivers. Crappy but something. If it works then add kexts one by one.

3) make sure you boot with -f -v flags on first boot after install.

Thanks.

1. I was thinking hardware as well, but XP runs without any issues whatsoever. I just ran memtest from my Ubuntu CD for 45 minutes and there were no failures.

2. I'll try iPC with no drivers, but I believe I did at some point through this fiasco already.

3. Will do.

Did as you suggested and installed a bare iPC.

Will only boot into safe mode, trying to boot into regular mode sends me to this: "localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[83]: starting"

While in safe mode, I installed Pacifist and extracted my kexts from the iPC DVD, did almost everything EXCEPT the ethernet one.

Went to reboot, and in safe mode or regular, it freezes at "localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[66]: starting".

ocspd is something network related. From what I've read, if that's where it's hanging, it loaded that fine, it the next part that is getting screwed up, and it appears that may be the video kexts. So, having run the installer provided in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...526&hl=3850 , what can I do to set my video kexts back to the original so the darn thing will boot?

Going to bed now.

Hmmm, maybe its not liking your video card for some reason. Do you have an old video card you can swap out? Keep with the bare ipc installs to elimate possibilities.

The main differenes in your system seem to be the cpu and vid card.

I believe there is away to swap back video drivers but i just did clean installs everytime to elimate problems.

For kicks, unplug your network cable also.

Hmmm, maybe its not liking your video card for some reason. Do you have an old video card you can swap out? Keep with the bare ipc installs to elimate possibilities.

The main differenes in your system seem to be the cpu and vid card.

I believe there is away to swap back video drivers but i just did clean installs everytime to elimate problems.

For kicks, unplug your network cable also.

I'll tackle it again tonight or sometime tomorrow. I don't think the cpu is what's giving me problems, because it boots in safe mode just fine most of the time. I'll unplug the network cable, and see if I can grab a video card from work to test with. Thanks for your help.

I'll tackle it again tonight or sometime tomorrow. I don't think the cpu is what's giving me problems, because it boots in safe mode just fine most of the time. I'll unplug the network cable, and see if I can grab a video card from work to test with. Thanks for your help.

I'm a noob at this also but what about disabling your network card in the bios and reinstalling, just te see if it hangs or not. I'm still fighting resolution problems.

I built two UD3P E5200 Dual Core Pentium computers and couldn't get OS X working on either one. I just built myself a UD3R E5300 Dual Core Pentium box and am pulling my hair out trying to get OS X running on the darn thing too. Installs fine and hangs on boot with various errors depending on the install. Tried several distros and a myriad install settings and bios configs. Been installing from IDE optical to SATA HD, going to try installing to an IDE HD next.

Thinking of getting a 2x molex to 8pin Adapter since my power supply is only 4 pin.

12-887-002-06.jpg