DVD Boot Problems

sniper_snipey

13 posts in this topic

Well, I downloaded a whole bunch of OSx86 versions including JaS, Kalyway, iAtkos, iDeneb and iPC. I burnt my first DL finished DVD of JaS OS 10.4.8 and set it up on the family computer. (Low end blah blah) But when I stick my iPC OS 10.5.6 DVD (well, any DVD for that matter) into my main computers drive, it says something about recognizing a cd but after a minute or so, it gives up and moves on to booting vista from my hdd. Ask me if you need any more info.

nVidia nForce 650i Ultra mobo

4 GB 800 MHz RAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

CD/DVD RW+ Drive

(When I boot the ISO images on my main comp in VMware Workstation, they work fine! wtf is up? Can my computer not read the speacial mac formatting on the DVD? Why will JaS 10.4 work on an older computer, but not my newer one?)

(EDIT: The family PC is only 32-Bit.

My main computer is 64-Bit. Will that have anything to do with it?)

Well, I downloaded a whole bunch of OSx86 versions including JaS, Kalyway, iAtkos, iDeneb and iPC. I burnt my first DL finished DVD of JaS OS 10.4.8 and set it up on the family computer. (Low end blah blah) But when I stick my iPC OS 10.5.6 DVD (well, any DVD for that matter) into my main computers drive, it says something about recognizing a cd but after a minute or so, it gives up and moves on to booting vista from my hdd. Ask me if you need any more info.

nVidia nForce 650i Ultra mobo

4 GB 800 MHz RAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

CD/DVD RW+ Drive

(When I boot the ISO images on my main comp in VMware Workstation, they work fine! wtf is up? Can my computer not read the speacial mac formatting on the DVD? Why will JaS 10.4 work on an older computer, but not my newer one?)

(EDIT: The family PC is only 32-Bit.

My main computer is 64-Bit. Will that have anything to do with it?)

Check out my Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset thread....... :(

Thank you for your hard work, but my problem persists. All my IDE connections should be working fine (jumpers where they shoud be etc.) becuz when i boot to a windows cd/dvd, it brings me to the installer menu. But when I boot to the mac dvd, it sits at the bios screen saying "Boot to CD" meaning it knows theres a dvd/cd in the drive. i can hear the dvd spinning but after a minute or so it goes on to booting windows normally as if it cant read the mac dvd format and gives up. :S nForce 650i ultra. More info if you need some ask me again.

Thank you for your hard work, but my problem persists. All my IDE connections should be working fine (jumpers where they shoud be etc.) becuz when i boot to a windows cd/dvd, it brings me to the installer menu. But when I boot to the mac dvd, it sits at the bios screen saying "Boot to CD" meaning it knows theres a dvd/cd in the drive. i can hear the dvd spinning but after a minute or so it goes on to booting windows normally as if it cant read the mac dvd format and gives up. :S nForce 650i ultra. More info if you need some ask me again.

You need to start with your BIOS settings......see post #1 in my thread.......

I changed everything as needed and it hangs in the BIOS, not on the DVD. It can't (atleast it's not) boot to the DVD! WTF!?

How are you attempting to boot from the DVD?.......are you pressing F8 or F12 (depends on your BIOS) when the Del key option to enter the BIOS appears.....

It should automatically boot to the DVD if I just leave it alone, but it's not. Do I have to press a key like Esc? (At initial boot it says "Esc for boot device" etc)

I'm running into the EXACT same problem. I've never made it to the Grey Apple screen or anything. if i completely disable the hard disk as a boot device, the DVDs will just spin in the drives forever and i see nothing but a blinking cursor.

I've created about a half-dozen boot discs from various images and NONE are reading in my PCs. I'm a PC guy, so know how to set the boot priority, modify bios settings, etc AND I've tried it on about 4 of the machines in my house, including both SATA drives as well as IDE. I've posted out here previously and no one has ever responded.

Let me know if you ever get resolution to the issue! Thanks, Steve

It should automatically boot to the DVD if I just leave it alone, but it's not. Do I have to press a key like Esc? (At initial boot it says "Esc for boot device" etc)

Yes press Esc and choose your DVDRW as the boot device........if it starts to boot, press F8 quicly to stop at the Darwin boot: prompt and boot with -v.......and see what happens......

I am still stuck at the BIOS with the blinking cursor. I removed 2GB of RAM out of 4 and I used ImgBurn at 1X speed to burn the disk. I know the disks work because I tried on an older computer but this one computer is being a tard.

I am still stuck at the BIOS with the blinking cursor. I removed 2GB of RAM out of 4 and I used ImgBurn at 1X speed to burn the disk. I know the disks work because I tried on an older computer but this one computer is being a tard.

Post your 650i BIOS screen shots with current and settings options in my Pre-Series 7 nForce thread.......and I will take a look and try to help you there ( in a couple of hours).......as I have a 650i MOBO too..... :)