HowTo Change Vendor ID for Sound (AZALIA)

plasmastudios

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm the newone;-).

I have a Amilo PI 1536 with IPC10.5.6 running. Now the Problem. I can't get the sound working on internal speakers (only line out). Some people say I have to change the vendor ID in my azaliaaudio.kext but I don't know how to get the vendor ID and how to change it?

Is out there someone to help me....?

If you need more Information...let me know.

plasma

It is not that you change the PCID it just needs to be added to proper Info.plist to have the driver load when it is detected by the modified .kext that will now contain it. Now there are a couple of ways you can do this I believe that you can see it in windows not sure where though as I have not done in there you will need to search on this, then there is a live Knoppix CD/DVD that can be used then once booted in its terminal app using lspci will show the ID or if you use Google with site:insanelymac.com on the end of the search for PC Tools I think it was perhaps by PCWIZ that he uploaded this will give you the same lspci built for OS X that is installed by the package so you an use it natively on a Mac.

Hi MacUser,

thanks a lot for your Information. This is the output of lspci.

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port [8086:27a1] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:27d4] (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller [8086:27df] (rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:27c5] (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6600] [10de:0148] (rev a2)

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection [8086:4222] (rev 02)

05:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8023]

05:05.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet [10ec:8169] (rev 10)

Wich ID is the one i have to edit?

Where I found the Info.plist? Path???

I just find some of my palmdesktop.

plasma

Hi MacUser,

thanks a lot for your Information. This is the output of lspci.

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)

Wich ID is the one i have to edit?

Where I found the Info.plist? Path???

I just find some of my palmdesktop.

plasma

The Info.plist is found in the Contents directory inside the .kext you need to edit like this example.

MacUser2525s-Mac-Pro:~ MacUser2525$ ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist 
   -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1809 25 Nov 03:50 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist

These are always contained in the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory unless you are using the /Extra directory that is used by the Boot132 method for instance then it would be in the Contents directory of the .kext in there. Now above I left the Audio PCI device which is what you are looking for the [8086:27d8] part of it the 8086 being the manufacturer ID for Intel the 27d8 the device ID together they form the PCID, when putting it in the Info.plist if I am remembering it correctly you need to reverse it so you would end up with something looking like this 0x27d88086&0xfff0ffff in probably a <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> section. You need to look at where the device IDs are in the existing file and add yours to it matching the format ( 0x27d88086&0xfff0ffff) the 0x on the front will always be the same the last part &amp... not sure how it would be in the file you should be able to tell by looking at the other entires what should be on the end. If you end up stuck on what/where to put it post the file here so we can get a look at it.

Hi MacUser,

sorry, I swear, in my directory /System/Library/Extensions is no Info.plist. Have i to create one?

Thanks for your help...

plasma

The Contents directory is inside the .kext file you need to add the ID too as I show above with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext example see how there is a /Contents/Info.plist on the end when I list that file contained in that .kext.

The Contents directory is inside the .kext file you need to add the ID too as I show above with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext example see how there is a /Contents/Info.plist on the end when I list that file contained in that .kext.

Ahhhh,

yes i found it.

Now I'll try....

Thanks

Thats the content of my .plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Apple Azalia Audio Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0d1</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Azalia Audio Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodec</string>

<key>InputSampleLatency</key>

<integer>30</integer>

<key>OutputSampleLatency</key>

<integer>30</integer>

<key>SampleOffsetPad</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

<key>Azalia Generic Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecGeneric</string>

<key>IOHDAudioCodecFunctionGroupType</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecFunction</string>

</dict>

<key>Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecALC880</string>

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>

<string>1.1fc9</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0d1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

I am confused.Did you know to wich driver (Azalia Audio Driver, Azalia Generic Codec Drive or Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver).

Sorry ......newbie

Ahhhh,

yes i found it.

Now I'll try....

Thanks

Thats the content of my .plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Apple Azalia Audio Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0d1</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Azalia Audio Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioDriver</string>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodec</string>

<key>InputSampleLatency</key>

<integer>30</integer>

<key>OutputSampleLatency</key>

<integer>30</integer>

<key>SampleOffsetPad</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

<key>Azalia Generic Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecGeneric</string>

<key>IOHDAudioCodecFunctionGroupType</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecFunction</string>

</dict>

<key>Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecALC880</string>

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff 0x8086ffff</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>

<string>1.1fc9</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0d1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0b3</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

I am confused.Did you know to wich driver (Azalia Audio Driver, Azalia Generic Codec Drive or Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver).

Sorry ......newbie

You probably have the right one there as you say in your first post you need to add the vendor in the plist you posted I have added the ID for Intel at the end to show you how you should edit it to look like. Do you know how to edit the file properly?

No I don't know.

And I don't know on wich position in this file i have to add. Sorry... littlebit afraid. ;)

plasma

In the spot where I have it in bold above is where you add it. To edit the file you need to open Terminal it can be found in the Applications -> Utilities folder when you open it type in then hit the enter key sudo -s now type in the password you set on install hitting the enter key again. This makes you root user so you can edit the file required in the Terminal again type in then hit enter key.

nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

This opens the file for editing (change the name if it is different than I have) you would now scroll down the file to find the line where I made the change to put it in there once done use the Control + O keys to write the file just hit enter to accept the already filled in file you are editing as the file to save too then Control + X keys to quit.

Now since you have edited a .kext file you need to remove the caches and .mkext file so on your next boot you can rebuild them to have the change you made seen. To do this use the following in the same terminal window you have open as root.

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
   rm -r /System/Library/Caches
   rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Of course hitting the enter key after having typed in each line above. You now would reboot when your machine first starts to load from the hard drive after the post detection you need to hit the F8 key to get to the Darwin boot loader where you hit any key to get to the command line, once there type in then hit enter key -f you will then see a whole bunch of lines scroll by while it rebuilds the caches/.mkext file then you would see a normal text boot with it loading the kernel/drivers/starting the OS X services until the graphics gets initialized.

You wrote:

Of course hitting the enter key after having typed in each line above. You now would reboot when your machine first starts to load from the hard drive after the post detection you need to hit the F8 key to get to the Darwin boot loader where you hit any key to get to the command line, once there type in then hit enter key -f you will then see a whole bunch of lines scroll by while it rebuilds the caches/.mkext file then you would see a normal text boot with it loading the kernel/drivers/starting the OS X services until the graphics gets initialized.

I think something wrong. What I have to type in? :(

plasma