Mysterious High-pitched sound from PC

Takuro

2 posts in this topic

I just installed a 180gb Western Digital HDD in my PC and installed Myzar's 10.4.5 dvd and used the 10.4.6 patch. Suddenly, I'm noticing a barely audible high-pitched noise coming from my computer. Whenever I move the mouse or do anything, it makes the sound. I detached the HDD and it's still making the noise.

Another, possibly related, problem is that at Darwin prompt, typing "?" gives me gibberish instead of displaying the different possible commands.

I've come up with some idea, but I'm still open for suggestions:

1 - I damaged something while installing the HDD

2- Since OS X is installed on the first partition of a slave HDD that has a 2nd partition set aside for Media Center, maybe I need to format it as one solid partition for OS X only

3- It's a problem with OS X itself

I'm going to format the disc and see what happens. Since it's a fresh install, I have nothing to loose. I'm still open to suggestions though.

-Takuro

Ok an update: It's definately the HDD itself. It was working fine in the old PC, but now it's having problems in my new PC. It got a Raw Read Data error, which apparently is a sign that the disc surface is damaged. I wonder if the noise I hear is the needle scratching against it. Ugh.