Leopard on Toshiba M400 tablet PC?

i-rui

8 posts in this topic

Hi

Long time apple user, first time poster :)

I just bought a used Toshiba M400 tablet. I bought it because i want to use it as a digital sketchpad. As we all know apple doesn't make a tablet and the modbook was too expensive for me.

I've been using the M400 in Windows xp and it works fine for what i want to do with it. I've had to install the additional wacom penabled driver to add pressure sensitivity to the tablet for my art applications.

But ideally i'd love to install Leopard on this. That's my preference and what I'm used to. My question is can I? One of the reason i choose this particular tablet was because it shares many of the same specs with a previous gen macbook. Core2duo 2.0ghz, with 950 GMA graphics.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on installing Leopard on a Toshiba M400?? Or the closest thing if that's not available. I'm very comfortable with OS X, but not very familiar with Windows, or PCs in general.

If anyone HAS installed Leopard on a tablet pc could you let me know how the tablet functionality works? Does the wacom pressure sensitivity work? Is there a driver that supports it? Perhaps the axiotron's modbook driver could be made to work.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I've gotten 10.5.6 running on the M400, CI+Q running on the 950GMA successfully, plus sound. There's a Bluetooth driver somewhere on the forums here too, but I didn't try that. The Wacom digitizer, I couldn't get that to work. I even tried with TabletMagic (tabletmagic.sourceforge.net) but still no go. Supposedly works well with the M200 tablet, but I sold mine already.

Naturally, the Intel WIFI is completely incompatable still so it's a real deal breaker there if you plan to be mobile at all.

Good luck.

I've gotten 10.5.6 running on the M400, CI+Q running on the 950GMA successfully, plus sound. There's a Bluetooth driver somewhere on the forums here too, but I didn't try that. The Wacom digitizer, I couldn't get that to work. I even tried with TabletMagic (tabletmagic.sourceforge.net) but still no go. Supposedly works well with the M200 tablet, but I sold mine already.

Naturally, the Intel WIFI is completely incompatable still so it's a real deal breaker there if you plan to be mobile at all.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply

So there's no driver for wifi? That pretty much rules out me putting OS X on the m400...

• 4 months later...

Hey!

I've got a m200 and I got the digitizer to work after about 5 days of trying..., (no CI/QE with invidia card thou) its like the computer has to get 'acquainted' with the new os before it will work. I updated the bios to latest and then randomly installed a wacom tablet driver for osx from the wacom site. Pressure senseitivity does work as well and I love it compared to mouse or trackpad.

it is also fun to see jelous macbook pro people look at me using my 350$ hackintosh...,

PS> there are lots of osx compatible wifi usb keys to use out there so all is not lost.

Hey!

I've got a m200 and I got the digitizer to work after about 5 days of trying..., (no CI/QE with invidia card thou) its like the computer has to get 'acquainted' with the new os before it will work. I updated the bios to latest and then randomly installed a wacom tablet driver for osx from the wacom site. Pressure senseitivity does work as well and I love it compared to mouse or trackpad.

it is also fun to see jelous macbook pro people look at me using my 350$ hackintosh...,

PS> there are lots of osx compatible wifi usb keys to use out there so all is not lost.

WOW

you have PRESSURE sensitivity?? That changes everything. I gave up on the idea of installing OSX on my m400 if i couldn't use it as a PRESSURE sensitive tablet.

Do you think installing on a m400 would be similar to installing on your m200? Do you have any tutorials you could point me to?

ALSO, (i'll probably start a new thread for this, but i may as well ask here) I'd still want to use windows on my m400. Is it possible to install OSX on the m400 hard drive (so the hard drive is a HFS+ volume) and then use Leopards built in boot camp installer to install the windows partition? Has anyone tried that?

• 1 year later...