Jetway Atom 330 MiniPC vs. 10.5.6 - Jetway loses every time.

atrac

6 posts in this topic

I bought the Jetway Atom 330 Mini-PC "barebone" from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16856107039

I have managed to get 10.5.4 on it with MSIWindosx86.iso. No other method (generic.iso or boot132.iso + Retail Leopard Disc) works (installation immediately reboots after starting the Retail Leopard Disc Installation). After I get that working I update to Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg 1.012.

Finally, I run a DSDT patcher program called "DSDT Patcher GUI." It says that it works ok with only 2 "Warnings" but no errors.

I then update with a 10.5.6 package and the system starts too boot and then immediately keeps rebooting.

What am I missing? Anything obvious? I thought this was going to be easy but 12 hours later I'm about ready to just give up and stay at 10.5.4. :)

I've been trying to d/l iPC but it's apparently not seeding very well right now (both the Live DVD version or the Universal PPF Final) and I'm looking at days before either one finishes.

Is my problem related to the fact that only the MSIWindosx86.iso will boot my machine?

I *really* just wanted to do a retail install, but I guess that isn't going to happen unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Toss it and go with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811154090

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813121359

works 10.5.6 retail with about 3 kexts and patched dstl.aml

Actually it is because of that motherboard that I went with this option (which was cheaper for me because I got a good deal on the barebone - ~$120). The specs of both mbs are virtually identical, so it must be something in the BIOS that is giving me the headache.

So to get the machine to work with 10.5.6 or any boot method/retail install I want, I must start the machine with the famous "cpus=1." This of course makes me lose not only the full benefits of my Atom 330 dual-core, but hyper threading.

The only other interesting clue to this whole mess is when I booted/installed with the MSIWindosx86.iso and no cpu boot flag, "About This Mac" reported the CPU as an Intel Core Duo. I'm not sure if that is a clue to the problem or not.

I'm guessing the Jetway BIOS just sucks for OSX use. Which is sad because the BIOS does have a TON of useful features not found on other systems I've tried (like the MSI Wind Nettop). Maybe too much is a good thing for this.

Just to give my own thread some closure (in case any one out there has been following along or may buy a Jetway in the future and come across this thread), a combination of iATKOS_5i and the Voodoo Kernel solved my problem. The motherboard in the Jetway, although in theory appears to be very similar to the Intel motherboards with similar configuration, in fact has a BIOS that really does not make it OSX friendly. The Voodoo Kernel seems to overcome the BIOS shortcomings (or ignore them) while other Kernels, such as Vanilla, do not.

I'm happy to just finally have the machine up and running with all cores and hyperthreading intact.

• 1 year later...