10.5.6 Vanilla Install on dell 6400 Laptop

trexplorer

8 posts in this topic

Did a clean install of 10.5.6 on my Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop from the desktop using an external USB drive running Leopard. I insert my original Apple OSX Leopard DVD and run OSInstall.mpkg (hidden folder under /System/Installation). After install is complete I Add the required kexts (AppleDecrypt, AppleACPIPLatform, ApplePS2Controller, AppleHDA, HDAENabler, SMBIOSResolver, AppleIntegratedFramebuffer, IOSDHCIBlockDevice), tscsync kernel for dual core, Chameleon efi, etc ... and repair permissions. Audio, Video, Sys Profiler, ethernet, SD card, etc ... all work. Even lid sleep and deep hibernate work.

I like doing installs this way as it is usually quick and hassle free. And I can control what I am using in case I later have to troubleshoot or upgrade. However ...

1) After many attempts using various "10.5.6" distro's of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext & AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext drivers, I am unable to get trackpad preferences working under control panel. Pointer moves but the panel for configuring settings under system preferences isn't present. So for example I can no longer enable touch tapping. Something perhaps conflicting and preventing loading ... Is support for PS2 Synaptics trackpad preferences broken in 10.5.6 ...?

2) Hibernate works great w Chameleon efi unless I install one of the battery management kexts (i.e., ACPIBattery, VoodooBattery, AppleACPIBatteryManager, etc...). At which time I get the old "garbage found in file" or "cant read encrypted file" message during reboot.

Can't find much in my searches - Help appreciated.

Finally found the answer to my 1st problem. Those interested should read the following posts:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;showentry=579 and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&p=1001436

1) Basically it was just as I thought, trackpad support is broken in 10.5.6 and modification of the trackpad preference pane gets it working again. Remember to use terminal when installing as just copying over in Finder doesn't seem to work.

2) Still working on power management / hibernate bug ...

Hopes this helps someone,

Cheers ..

Finally got hibernate working properly while using battery & power management kexts. For some reason "use secure virtual memory" under Security in Control Panel was being enabled every-time I installed a battery kext ... Turning off "use secure virtual memory" after the install did the trick (i.e., no more "encryptedstart isnt zero" error).

Now just working on mouse tearing which is not a big deal. Perhaps I am getting it more due to my high screen res 1680x1050. Anyone else with this screen res ...? Or is there a better fix for no (or black) screen at boot-up with GMA950 other than using the old AppelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (i.e., the old kext fixes the black screen but results in some mouse tearing) ...?

Cheers ...

Finally got hibernate working properly while using battery & power management kexts. For some reason "use secure virtual memory" under Security in Control Panel was being enabled every-time I installed a battery kext ... Turning off "use secure virtual memory" after the install did the trick (i.e., no more "encryptedstart isnt zero" error).

Now just working on mouse tearing which is not a big deal. Perhaps I am getting it more due to my high screen res 1680x1050. Anyone else with this screen res ...? Or is there a better fix for no (or black) screen at boot-up with GMA950 other than using the old AppelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (i.e., the old kext fixes the black screen but results in some mouse tearing) ...?

Cheers ...

really not sure why you open your own thread here for stuff that has been posted in the genius section under the inspiron 6400 thread and on sonotone's thread. there are at least two people who posted their results with complete instructions. you get more response and help if you posted there.

good luck.

really not sure why you open your own thread here for stuff that has been posted in the genius section under the inspiron 6400 thread and on sonotone's thread. there are at least two people who posted their results with complete instructions. you get more response and help if you posted there.

good luck.

I've always done installs manually fr a working desktop and an original Mac Install Disk. I don't like updates/hacks followed by more updates/patches. I started this thread with the intention of methodizing same for the Dell 6400.

cheers.

(p.s., any moderators wanting to merge this thread into Sonotone's, please feel free)

I've always done installs manually fr a working desktop and an original Mac Install Disk. I don't like updates/hacks followed by more updates/patches. I started this thread with the intention of methodizing same for the Dell 6400.

cheers.

(p.s., any moderators wanting to merge this thread into Sonotone's, please feel free)

You made a very important discovery with the battery kexts that is likely the cause why many of the folks in this thread (starting with this post and then down) can't get their sleep to work. Hope that's the case. thank you.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Thank you for your post. I'm newbie at hacking notebooks. So please can be more specific about installation method of 10.5.6 osx. Setting bios, adding kexts e.t.c.

I've installed 1Kalyway 10.5.2 on my dell, but never succeeded ti install any distro (Ideneb, Iatkos... ) 10.5.6...

Can you upgrade on 10.5.7?

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

good luck.

THE GREAT Deceiver,

Voila "10.5.8 on E1505 GMA950"

I've this same machine. Tried some 10ths of times to get 10.5.8 => FAILED with black screen -- anything to do with 10.5.8 = black screen (as out of sync or so).

1. Kaly 10.5.2 -->Combo10.5.5 = success;tongue.gif

2. Update to 10.5.7 Combo = black screen;wacko.gif

3. iATKOS 10.5.7 -->Combo 10.5.8 = black screen.unsure.gif

Currently stayed with 10.5.7 with both cores running without Hardware Support for the CI.

Mind to share again your tricky steps to go 10.5.8?biggrin.gif

TQ.

(I'm reading too much insanelymac/Hackintosh.org/BassheadTech until I didn't know which is which now).sad.gif