ALC883 SOUND INPUT? Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L mobo

bwm1974

13 posts in this topic

I've read many posts here about the Realtek AL883 sound chip. I have it as address 2 on my Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard. I'm running retail OSX 10.5.7. Curious if anyone can say that they have line-in working for ALC883 100% correct. I have the 3-port version.

In windows, the hardware ID is:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN10EC&DEV_0883&SUBSYS_1458C603&REV_1000

I've installed Taruga's kexts (AppleHDA and HDAEnabler) and sound output is working fine, but I can't fully adjust the record level. It's a decent level, but I need to be able to adjust it.

alc883recordlevel.jpg

I've also made a codec dump with Knoppix and used hdapatcher, but it didn't make a difference to the Taruga kexts I installed. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Anyone want to help a guy out?

I'm sorry I can't help you anywhere near as much as you helped me out, Anorexorcist. Truly wish I could find a resolution for us, but I completely lack the technical skills to do so. I think you've got line-in, which is probably a step above me. Obviously we've got the same Mobo, and thus sound-chip... but I feel like I've been fighting just for any audio recognition. Sounds like you're mighty close to a proper setup, though: hang in there.

Anyone want to help a guy out?

I'm sorry I can't help you anywhere near as much as you helped me out, Anorexorcist. Truly wish I could find a resolution for us, but I completely lack the technical skills to do so. I think you've got line-in, which is probably a step above me. Obviously we've got the same Mobo, and thus sound-chip... but I feel like I've been fighting just for any audio recognition. Sounds like you're mighty close to a proper setup, though: hang in there.

I have that same board and installed using iDeneb 1.4 and everything works great. I also have the option for an internal microphone (wtf?). anyway, if someone could tell me what kext it is I will upload it for you. I'm running 10.5.7 if that makes any difference at all.

Is this what you are looking to do?

fljcya.png

I have that same board and installed using iDeneb 1.4 and everything works great. I also have the option for an internal microphone (wtf?). anyway, if someone could tell me what kext it is I will upload it for you. I'm running 10.5.7 if that makes any difference at all.

Is this what you are looking to do?

fljcya.png

Well, if you could upload your AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext, I'd like to give them a try. If, by chance you also have an ALCInject.kext, upload it too. The kexts should all be in your System/Library/Extensions folder.

I sure appreciate it your help.

Here's a link to what my input looks like when it's turned all the way down. (notice the signal strength is still pushing halfway through the meter)

alc883recordlevel.jpg

Weird things is, your picture looks nearly opposite of what I am experiencing. It looks to me like your level is set to about halfway, but your signal is very low. Matters not, I'd like to give your kexts a try if you can post a link.

Thanks very much.

Well, if you could upload your AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext, I'd like to give them a try. If, by chance you also have an ALCInject.kext, upload it too. The kexts should all be in your System/Library/Extensions folder.

I sure appreciate it your help.

Here's a link to what my input looks like when it's turned all the way down. (notice the signal strength is still pushing halfway through the meter)

alc883recordlevel.jpg

Weird things is, your picture looks nearly opposite of what I am experiencing. It looks to me like your level is set to about halfway, but your signal is very low. Matters not, I'd like to give your kexts a try if you can post a link.

Thanks very much.

I didn't have the HDAEnabler.kext. I have included the other 2 kexts I have on my system as well as the 3 installer packages for ALC883. I belive I used the ALC883 3 Ports package when I installed OS X. Let me know how this works for you.

ALC883.zip

Thanks for the uploads. Sadly, I saw no difference when I installed your files.

Hmm... This is what I would do. I would backup everything you need on an external drive and completely reinstall OS X using the iDeneb 1.4 disk. Select the Intel Chipset SATA drivers, default kernel (nothing selected), and the ALC883 sound patch along with any of the programs you want (definitely OSX86 Tools). I would then update to 10.5.7 using the iDeneb 10.5.7 Combo Update and reinstall everything. I know it seems like a hassle but in my opinion it would be worth it to have everything working properly.

ALSO!

Before you go and do that, try deleting all the kexts that have to do with audio and then installing the ALC883 3 Ports package. Maybe that would fix it? One last thing, have you tried editing the kext files to match it to your device id exactly?

Sorry for typing so much but I think this is a great site and a great mobo. The funny thing is, OS X runs better than Vista on my machine (see attached image, after an hour of updating this is what I get...).

post-32097-1245185781_thumb.jpg

One last thing, have you tried editing the kext files to match it to your device id exactly?

Your input and help is much appreciated. How do I go about editing the kext files? Is just the info.plist in each kext or is there more to it?

• 7 months later...

Did you manage to fix it?

I have ALC883 (with 6 connectors), but I chose the 3-connector one. (iPC 10.5.6 Final, or a pkg from the Internet.)

I get Line out, microphone, line in.

If I record with line in, it get's a lot of crackling, and all sorts of bugs, but if I record with the microphone input, it works!

Of course, the microphone input has some gain, so you would like to turn it down a little, and turn up the sound on the external source.

I have a mixer connected to microphone, and the sound is crystal clear.

However, I would like to get Line-in working, as this really is the "correct" input to use.

But couldn't it be that mac uses them the other way? I remember a friend of mine had to use microphone as line out, and line out as microphone, they were for some reason switched, but worked fine!

I guess, as I'm using my hackintosh as a small studio, I might want to get an external sound card (USB/FW) that's supported by OSX. But as of today, this doesn't match my budget.

So anyone have any experiences to share?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

for those who have the ga-g31m-es2c I finally got my alc883 up and running.

Line in : fully working

Mic in: fully working

Output: fully working

Headphones: fully working

Digital output: did not tried but it shows up, i guess it works properly

5.1 audio: not working (dunno how to turn it on)

I had a really bad time trying to make this work but finally got it. Iv used Taruga's applehda and hdaenabler from another site i cant recall, and thats it no more low quality sound output and FULLY WORKING INPUT!! damm i'm so happy.

alc883.zip