XxX Mac OS X 10.5.6 messed up Vista boot?

Jinto Lin

2 posts in this topic

I've been planning on using Vista's bootloader to load my OSs with an editor for it, so I installed Ubuntu without grub, and then installed the XxX flavor of OS X. However, when I installed it, it 'deleted' my bootloader, or did something to it. The kicker is that the install failed, so I can't get to any of my OSs!

I'm thinking of trying to reinstall, but how would I go about fixing windows? I don't have a vista restore CD, its Server 2008, so all I can do is a full reinstall. Are there any utilities that you guys know of?

• 5 months later...
I've been planning on using Vista's bootloader to load my OSs with an editor for it, so I installed Ubuntu without grub, and then installed the XxX flavor of OS X. However, when I installed it, it 'deleted' my bootloader, or did something to it. The kicker is that the install failed, so I can't get to any of my OSs!

I'm thinking of trying to reinstall, but how would I go about fixing windows? I don't have a vista restore CD, its Server 2008, so all I can do is a full reinstall. Are there any utilities that you guys know of?

I have the same experience like most users, but I found out that the problem lies in a corrupt MBR (Master Boot Record) or a modification to it that made something unbootable. No need to reinstall Vista.

Anyway...

[Windows XP] That's easy. Ok, insert the Windows XP CD into the hard-drive and boot from it.

Then when prompt for options after it loads the files, press "r" for the Recovery Console.

After waiting, select your partition from the list.

For Example:

1: C:\Windows

and then type in 1.

Type in your admin password, if you don't have just press enter...

Now, finally fixing the bootloader so it can boot Windows.

Type in "fixmbr" (without "), you will be prompt to say whether you are sure just press enter and then restart normally.

Now, when you boot it should boot into Windows.

[Windows Vista]

(From http://www.planetmy.com/blog/how-to-fixmbr...-bootable-disk/)

The following tutorial will teach you "How to fixmbr using Windows Vista bootable disk".

• Boot up your computer using Microsoft Windows Vista Bootable disk. (Check your BIOS setup)
  • When you see the 1st Windows Vista installation screen appear, please configure your 'language' preferences.
  • When prompted, click 'Repair your computer'.
  • Startup Repair will automatically detect a problem. When prompted, click 'Repair and restart', and then restart your computer from the Windows Vista bootable disk. If Startup Repair does not automatically detect a problem, continue to the next step.
  • click 'Repair Your Computer'.
  • Click Command Prompt from the System Recovery Options.
  • BootRec.exe provides the following command-line options:

• /FixMbr. Re-writes the master boot record (MBR) of the system partition to start Windows Vista. This won’t overwrite the existing partition table. <--- This is the one you should use if the Automatic Repair doesn't work

• /FixBoot. Writes a boot sector onto the system partition to start Windows Vista.

• /ScanOs. Scans all disks for Windows Vista installations and displays them to you. Oddly, this didn’t work for me, even on a test system that was starting just fine.

• /RebuildBcd. Scans all disks for Windows Vista installations and prompts you to pick the ones you want to add to the BCD.

• Hope this helps!