Install System 7.x.x from System 6.0.8 on a Macintosh Classic?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here can help me with this but I recently got my hands on a Macintosh

Classic. It currently runs 6.0.8, and I would like to update it to system 7.x.x. I have downloaded

imagesfrom Apple's "old software page" but I do not know what to do with them. Does anyone

here have any experience with older Macintoshes?

Thanks in advance. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here can help me with this but I recently got my hands on a Macintosh

Classic. It currently runs 6.0.8, and I would like to update it to system 7.x.x. I have downloaded

imagesfrom Apple's "old software page" but I do not know what to do with them. Does anyone

here have any experience with older Macintoshes?

Thanks in advance. :D

Make floppies (ugh), boot from disk 1, install

• 6 months later...

I just started to work on this again.. I made floppies, copied all the files onto the hard drive (Like it said in the tutorial on the apple old software page, but I get an error -31 when I try to launch the installer... I tried booting using the "network access disk", but still... "error of type -31"

Any ideas?

I recently reinstalled a Classic II with 6.0.8. I guess the procedure should be the same.

Write the images to floppies

Boot off install floppy

If you want a good, clean install, reinitialize the hard disk using Apple HD SC Setup

Run the installer

Insert the remaining disk(s) when prompted

I didn't have to copy any files to the hard disk first, but then 6.0.8 is only 2 1.44mb floppies.