*iDeneb 1.4* how do I boot with voodoo kernel?

cj95

18 posts in this topic

what is the command I should enter on darwin boot prompt ???? the default kernel on ideneb 1.4(dvd?) is vanilla and alwats crashes when itoots(reboot loop)(not able to load installer). so i was thinking of loading voodoo 9.5 on the darwin boot prompt so it doesn't reboot and be able to show the installer. Again, i need to know the command of voodoo kernel to enter on the darwin boot prompt when you boot from the dvd. thanks in advance.

mb: asrock 4coredual-sata2

chipset: via pt 880 pro

cpu: pentium 4 34 ghz ht

3gb ram dr2

pny geforce 9600gt

bump. i still need help

You are unlikely to get help without giving more information about your system.....and the context of your problem......

edited my first post. hope im more clear now :P

You have the option of choosing a different kernel in Customize menu.......choose Voodoo 9.5.0......... :rolleyes:

Hi cj95,

i think, you search for the command at darwin in boot process not at the installation screen?!

Here ist the command you search for (type it exactly like here):

kernel=Voodoo

F-Didi

You have the option of choosing a different kernel in Customize menu.......choose Voodoo 9.5.0......... :unsure:

did you even read what i edited? :rolleyes:

Hi cj95,

i think, you search for the command at darwin in boot process not at the installation screen?!

Here ist the command you search for (type it exactly like here):

kernel=Voodoo

F-Didi

thank you, but that doesn't work. iDeneb 1.4 still reboots on apple logo.

if that was the right command and the voodoo kernel would have loaded, everything would have been fine. but thanks anyway :P

I had the same problem a few days ago by a friend with an AMD Turion X2 and a SB600 chipset.

I tried it also with this parameters and at third attempt it booted:

cpus=1
platform=acpi

@ cj95 Yes I did........

the 9.6.0 Vanilla kernel is the default kernel installed when installing OS X unless an alternative kernel is chosen.......if the 9.6.0 Vanilla kernel were the default kernel loaded when booting from the iDeneb OS X Install DVD then all non-Vanilla MOBO owners would have problems..... :D

Try booting with

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 platform=ACPI|86PC -legacy

nope didn't work :) ( i don't understand why "kernel=Voodoo" doesn't work when i do it , it always says " loading mach_kernel" in -v.

Your MOBO may need a modded BIOS......see here.......

i will not modify my bios. i don't want my pc/windows to stop working, and i doubt it will work anyway coz vanilla doesn't support p4 not the mobo, and i don't know how to reset my bios if something goes wrong

what distro are you using?

I was using ipc 10.5.6 BETA PPF1 and i download the iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final and burned it onto a new DVD and now i can get to the installer when before i had a circle with a slash.

I just now can't avoid a kernel panic after reboot...

the only leopard distro that works on my pc is iPC 10.5.6. everything works fine except the video drivers , 9600 gt. it always freezes or black screen on apple logo when i boot after applying 9600gt efi string. its pretty annoying . without video drivers you can't do anything.

All I can comment on is what worked on my system, and hope my trial and error helps you out.

I have downloaded and burnt pretty much all the available distro's, and tried them.

The only one that works for me is Kalyway 10.5.2. At darwin I just type speedstepkernel to load up that kernel. Install with no chipset drivers, graphics or audio selected. I update that once the OS has installed and I can then update via the appropriate driver packages.

I have tried the following distro's

iAtikos Kernel panic on re-start after install.

iDeneb v1.3 & 1.4 Kernel panic on re-start after install.

iPC 10.5.6 Kernel panic on re-start after install.

Leo4All Just about to try this one, so dont know yet.

I think you get the commom theme running through my trials.

I tried loading with the vanilla kernel, then selecting either Voodoo or Speedstep from the customise options, but still had the same kernel panic.

So for ME at least, the only distro that worked was Kalyway 10.5.2

Oh I had to set my attached ATA devices to AHCI in my bios as well, otherwise I couldn't even get to the install options.

• 4 weeks later...
i will not modify my bios. i don't want my pc/windows to stop working, and i doubt it will work anyway coz vanilla doesn't support p4 not the mobo, and i don't know how to reset my bios if something goes wrong

Very unlikely to mess up you windows, though the problem relies on it being a HT CPU. Voodoo is the work around for this.