Is this Acer laptop ok?

8 posts in this topic

Intel® Celeron® M 370 processor (1.5GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1Mb L2 Cache), 40GB ATA/100 hard disk drive, 512MB DDR II RAM, DVD-Dual double-layer, 14.1" WXGA TFT LCD Display, 64MB (shared) VRAM, 6 cell battery, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, GMA 900, Intel® 910GML Express chipset with 400MHz FSB.

Let me guess. That would be the Travelmate 2423 or the Aspire 3623. Was eyeing that for quite some time also. Based on my limited research, it seems that most of the key parts should be able to work: GMA 900 should be OK, I remember checking the wifi on this and i think its broadcom or atheros (one of the brands that some have got working with OSX). But nothing beats actually trying it out. Good luck and don't forget to inform us of your results in case you decide to get it.

• 1 month later...

I tried to install 10.4.4 and 10.4.6 on this laptop with the stock 40GB drive (Seagate 4200RPM with 2 MB Cache) and it was so slow as to be unusable. Chaning disk drive to 80GB Western Digital Scorpio and adding 512MB of RAM and it works ok, but price goes to high relative to others.

I am also currently using the same one as my work laptop.. i have tried to install OSX 10.4.6 on it but it just refused to boot from the dvd giving me a com.apple.boot.plist error i think..

I think you should be able to install OSX using VMWare