Strange ethernet issue

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've been lurking here for a little over a week now, and finally need to make my own topic. I have OSX86 running on my P4 3.0GhZ pc, with one-channel audio, and no CI or QE. Rosetta runs, so iTunes, MS Office, etc run perfectly.

However, I have a weird network problem. I have an ECS PT800CE motherboard, with ethernet chipset VIA® VT6103 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY. Under the Apple->About this Mac->More menu, it shows "en0" as "Local Ethernet", with DHCP enabled and as an "active location -- yes". Yet when I go into Safari it doesn't reach the internet, I can't ping or dig external sites, and when I go to System Preferences, it doesn't see an active location. Network Setup assistant also fails.

I have tried the Tulip fix, the PNP disabling fix, with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

I think It's not loading right, even without NIC Card the System Preferences showed me an Ethernet.

Try disabling your Ethernet in BIOS or if it is a PCI card remove it, boot, delete it inside System Preferences Network panel, shutdown, enable again, boot again and see if it appears, also delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext.

Ok, i've got another nic (a bcm440 which should work) but i have problems when i've booted windows (triple boot config). After i've booted windows it sees the nic but tells me the cable isn't connected. What works for me is removing the power and the battery for a little while. When the system (really) cold boots and OSX is able to initialize the nic it will work! Might be a shot in the dark but worth a try ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here.

I've got myself a onboard Realtek Gigabit 8201 LAN chip.

Everyone states those Realtek 8139 chipset to works so great.

You'd think mine should work too since it's newer judging the number...(?)

When registering OS X I entered IP adress and all, and just like briankoenig states, under System profiler shows Network --> Ethernet --> BSD Device name I see the (en0) code and my IP adress I entered with the registration.

So OS X obviously seems to notice something :), so why does network diagnostics give me 'failed' om all topics? Another thing I notice is that at Proxies OSX stades 'no' exept for FTP Passive Mode. What does this all mean?

See attachment. Any ideas guys? Do I need to load some .kext from the darwinx86-801.iso or some hacked version and if so how?

Alternatively: what (cheap) PCI networkcard 100% workes?

Being able to surf through Safari would make the OS X so much more usable, even though the GPU is stuck @60 Hz for now even though it's a VESA 3.0 card (GeForce 6600 PCIe/ known issue for what I've read so far...unfortunately :().

Any help and/or advice very much appriciated.

post-3356-1126709604_thumb.jpg

AFAIK Realtek chips supported are 8139 and 8169, baybe with yours the kext is loaded but maybe not working.
Thaxs for the quick reply MacGirl.

You'd think version numbers 8139, 8169 and up (bc=newer?),

guess not, ehh? Still i find it strange that OS X sees my Ethernet (screenshot former posting)...maybe some edit hack like what works for the Nvidia based AC 97' soundcards could prove to be a sollution?

Alternatively: what (cheap) PCI networkcard 100% workes?

Lot's a realtek 8139/8169 chip based Ethernet cards available...which one (brandname) is cheap, available and working?

(yes I'm aware of Maxxuss brand new VMWAre network driver, but making my network operational natively would rock much more IMO: no more Windows XP as primairy OS :) ).

Thanks for any help and/or advice beforehand.

What part of "Gigabit NICs are not supported" do people not understand? B)
Ok. I missed that one. ;) Dang. Thanks for clearing that. And for the 2nd question:
Lot's a realtek 8139/8169 chip based PCI Ethernet cards available...which one (brandname) is cheap, available and working?
Any advice on that matter?

Thanks beforehand.

Thaxs for the quick reply MacGirl.

You'd think version numbers 8139, 8169 and up (bc=newer?),

guess not, ehh? Still i find it strange that OS X sees my Ethernet (screenshot former posting)...maybe some edit hack like what works for the Nvidia based AC 97' soundcards could prove to be a sollution?

8139 and 8169 are not versions, they are models, versions of the 8139 (100 mbit) model are 8139A, 8139B, 8139C and 8139D, and A,B, and C versions work with the kext, some D works and some not. For the 8169 (Gigabit) I don't know which versions work.

As for the edit of the kext the only part that you can edit is the DeviceID, so if it recognizes the card but did not work I can not go beyond that.

Lot's a realtek 8139/8169 chip based Ethernet cards available...which one (brandname) is cheap, available and working?

I have a lot of 8139 brandless cards most of them are version C.

The one that I had in my PC is not a Realtek, is a compatible one, is a SMC 1211TX.

(yes I'm aware of Maxxuss brand new VMWAre network driver, but making my network operational natively would rock much more IMO: no more Windows XP as primairy OS :P ).

Thanks for any help and/or advice beforehand.

Yeah, me too, altough I have my PowerBook :P

What part of "Gigabit NICs are not supported" do people not understand? B)

Sorry, but the Realtek 8169 is a Gigabit Ethernet and its supported, what am I missing? ;)

• 6 months later...

I have a realtek 8169 on my gigabyte ga-8ipe1000g, and its not working in 10.4.4, is there a patch or command i am missing that i need to type to enable the card, it sees it in the system profiler, but when i go to the network applet in the system preferances, its not there. i was thinking there is a conflict w/ the fireiwre on my audigy card, being os x sees that as a network port, if you can suggest any thing i should try plz post them.

thanks,

thegrayarea