Asus M3A78-EM 10.5.6

shotta90

19 posts in this topic

I must first say thanks to the folks who made it possible! Thanks; And I would like to credit you ahead of time if you are the owner of anything I post here [since some people get emotional about these things] and please don't ask for links. To maintain the community, things might be a little vague but the hardware are visible in the 2 pics provided, other than that:

must select HD3800 Series and use -f flag to boot if you change resolution, don't ask why.

am trying to get the ALC1200 sound clear and also get sound through my HDMI as well, please share your input and keep it clean! thanks to all.

1.5TB SATA : (0) Vista (37Gb); (1) Media(1TB);

80GB SATA : (0) 10.5.6 (40Gb); (1) Storage(40);

Liteon IDE DVD RW : Good

M3A78-EM:

Audio : choppy;

Video: 1400x1050x32@60Hz on samsung 40" via HDMI

Lan : Good

post-156092-1234925930_thumb.png

post-156092-1234925964_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there...

Congratulation for your successful install, now I'm trying to make mine complete with almost the same specs than yours :

Proc: Athlon 64 X2 4850e

Mobo : Asus M3A78-EM

Memory : OCZ Gold GX XTC 2x1Go PC6400

HDD type : DD1 : SATA, DD2 : IDE

HDD Size : DD1 : 320Go (50Go/NTFS/Active/Primaire : Vista + 250Go NTFS Stockage), DD2 : 250Go (20Go/FAT32/Active/Primaire Mac OSx86, 212Go Stockage)

Graphic : IGP HD3200 (Chipset 780G+SB700)

Network : Realtek RTL8168C

Can you please tell me what kexts and fixes you choose with iDeneb ?

FYI, I got some input regarding ALC1200, but I can't try it until proper install...

• 2 weeks later...

I've also got a M3A78-EM running...

My early install of Kalyway 10.5.2 ran audio/video flawlessly, but I had some trouble with CD burning and other install issues.

Now, I can't get audio/video to run smoothly. I don't think the glitchy audio is a codec problem, per se, but something else, because although I have proper ID on my video (HD 3650) and Netkas' driver works beautifully, video is glitchy when scrolling images, etc.

I've run about 30 installs, trying to tweak, but maybe only making things worse. Suspect it has something to do with ACPI & APIC....thoughts?

ASUS M3A78-EM UPDATE!

I've got iDeneb running on my system (sans EAH3650, which crashes the boot up no matter what I do) with the proper ATI chipset and AC1200 drivers. Just did a full apple update without any problems. Streaming video plays flawlessly (audio and video), but iTunes still glitches.

This time, the glitch is a very specific glitch. It plays slowly, as if it's a clock-timing issue or something. Once the processor is busy with something, audio is flawless. The AC1200 kext matches up both my inputs and outputs (although front inputs don't work...only rear work).

So, if I move the mouse, or have iTunes import/convert any of my audio files, then audio is perfect.

I'm thinking there's something going on with my hardware/memory config to cause the audio glitching, and that the kexts work perfectly.

Hope someone out there can figure this one out.

Asus M3A78-EM SUCCESS!!

After much headache, I have the glitchy audio solved. Two observations about audio with ALC1200, if there's no sound, check in the audio setup pane that the proper output device is selected (i.e. internal speakers and NOT headphones).

Now, to get rid of the glitchy audio. Check out the Asus website at

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Download the BIOS update 0701 and flash your BIOS. Any later BIOS than that one causes the glitchy audio.

I have this Asus M3A78-EM and it worked fine for a while, but after I upgraded my system to 4GB of RAM, I constantly get kernel panics after a random time of use (even when I leave it idle, it still crashes). I've tried installing the latest kexts for AppleATIATA and IOATAFamily from here (also emptied and reload the caches like someone suggested) but it didn't help. Here's my latest screenshot of the problem. Can anybody help me with this? Or am I out of luck?

img8205.th.jpg

img8204.th.jpg

I've found a temporary solution to my problem. Currently I'm limiting the max amount of RAM that OS X can use to 3GB (by booting with the flag maxmem=3072). My osx aren't crashing anymore, but this means I'll have to press F8 everytime it boots and enter the flag. Does anybody know a way to bind the flag so it's there by default?

Hello there,

I installed successfully iDeneb v1.4 on my config (see bellow) :

Proc : Athlon 64 X2 4850e

Mobo : Asus M3A78-EM

Memory : OCZ Gold GX XTC 2x1Go PC6400

HDD Type : HDD1 : SATA, HDD2 : IDE

HDD Size : HDD1 : 320Go (50Go/NTFS/Active/Primary : Vista + 250Go NTFS Storage), DD2 : 250Go (20Go/FAT32/Active/Primary Mac OSx86, 212Go Storage)

Graphic : IGP HD3200 (Chipset 780G+SB700)

Network : Realtek RTL8168C

I installed thoses packages and options (see bellow) :

- ALC1200

- AppleATIATA

- Voodoo kernel 9.5.0

- Realtek R1000

- AppleSMBIOS 800

- Seatbelt fix

I have now some issues with Sound and Graphic :

- I use HDMI Mobo output

- Graphic is limited to 800x600

- Audio don-t work on HDMI Mobo output but is OK on front panel output (I have 3 possibilities in the Sound menu : "Internal Speaker", "Headphone" and "Digital Output")

Any fix for those issues ? (I don't really need QE/CI, but higher definition and I don't really need 5.1, but at least Stereo).

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd suggest that anyone still having problems with this board give the new iAtkos 7 a try. Best distro I've seen to date. Support for ATI chipset and Voodoo audio is a breeze. Still no support for internal graphics, though.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

M3A78-EM:

Audio : choppy;

Not quite close to a solution, but it is an interesting workaround that might lead someone to a fix to the choppy audio on this MB.

Install CPUTest, then run it while playing audio. The sound is certainly not perfect, but is much better.

Seems that keeping the CPU a bit busy improves the sound.

It beats wiggling the mouse around too.

Anyone else find a solution to the choppy audio on this MB?

Also hoping to find better graphics - MB graphics = ATI Radeon HD 3200 GPU.

Thanks

I've found a temporary solution to my problem. Currently I'm limiting the max amount of RAM that OS X can use to 3GB (by booting with the flag maxmem=3072). My osx aren't crashing anymore, but this means I'll have to press F8 everytime it boots and enter the flag. Does anybody know a way to bind the flag so it's there by default?

Open a terminal and do the following:

1. cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

2. sudo nano com.apple.Boot.plist

3. inside of the com.apple.Boot.plist file you will see 2 lines that look somewhat like the following:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

4. add your maxmem flag inside of the string section:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3072</string>

5. press ctrl-o then enter to save the file and then press ctrl-x to exit

6. MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!!! make sure you repair the permissions of the file you just edited by using the following 2 commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo chmod -R 755 com.apple.Boot.plist

7. Reboot and you shouldn't need to press F8 to boot correctly.

Cheers,

h4ck.b0x7

• 2 months later...
Open a terminal and do the following:

1. cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

2. sudo nano com.apple.Boot.plist

3. inside of the com.apple.Boot.plist file you will see 2 lines that look somewhat like the following:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

4. add your maxmem flag inside of the string section:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3072</string>

5. press ctrl-o then enter to save the file and then press ctrl-x to exit

6. MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!!! make sure you repair the permissions of the file you just edited by using the following 2 commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel com.apple.Boot.plist

sudo chmod -R 755 com.apple.Boot.plist

7. Reboot and you shouldn't need to press F8 to boot correctly.

Cheers,

h4ck.b0x7

thank you for posting that...i was looking for that info...

can anyone post the kext that you need for the M3N78-EM's onboard video...(ati hd3200)... i can only get 1024x768, and that is pretty crappy on a 42" plasma...lol

I'm still having no luck getting any audio output at all with ALC1200 (nothing shows in audio output pane of Sound control panel--and no sound in OSX)

According to this page: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

this mobo takes ALC888. Can anyone confirm that?

My problem may be that I may have failed to removed some other audio driver before I installed the ALC1200 kext.

BTW, there are links to the various versions of ALC1200 on the page I just mentioned.

Also, has anyone confirmed the Asus BIOS update Katruje mentioned in post 7?

And finally, does anyone have any advice or ideas about getting IDE supported on this mobo?

My details:

mobo: Asus M3A78-EM (AMD 780G)

cpu: AMD Phenom X4 9600 2.3 GHz

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT (how to get that working well is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3989&st=60)

10.5.6 IPC install with Voodoo 9.5.0, Realtek R1000 LAN and Seatbelt 10.5.5