Help with QE / CI on Thinkpad T60p 2007-CTO

Xin Li

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to hacking an OSX install onto a laptop. So bare with me. I'm a pretty technical guy, who feels at home under Linux, Windows, and pretty much any other OS you can throw at me. The Mac OS is just relatively new to me, from a tweaking perspective.

I've tried install the iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) onto an IBM Thinkpad T60p laptop. At this point, everything seems to be working, except for the video card, which doesn't seem to have CI/QE enabled. According to my research, the card should at least definitely support CI.

My Laptop:

IBM Thinkpad T60p (2007-cto)

4GB RAM

100GB SATA drive

5250 FireGL Card, 256MB VRAM (ATI X1700 Chipset I believe)

Here's what my System Profiler shows for the video card:

ATi Mobility Radeon x1700:

Chipset Model: ATi Mobility Radeon x1700

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x210d571

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

What I've tried so far:

So far, I've tried a number of approaches to get it working.

1) Edit Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents, and added the IOPCIMatch:

0x210D1002, is that right?

In any case, that didn't work

I followed the instructions here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f...130&start=0

2) I hard coded the proper resolution of 1400x1050x32, into my Boot.plist, which gets me the right resolution at least

3) I tried

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES

According to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64656

4) I tried using the OSX86 Tools, and enabling QuartsGL that way.

After all of this, things seem no closer. Core Image still shows as Software, and playing video inside iTunes is very slow at full screen. I am out of ideas of my own. And yet, according to all indications, at the very least CI should be supported, of it QE on the FireGL 5250 card.

Also, after entering the IOPCIMatch id in step 1, my little mouse nub stopped working (Thouchpad still works).

One last thing, which is not related to this, OS X refuses to sense my DVD drive.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Also, is injecting the EDID required to get QE/CI working? or is that only for resolution switching? Also, how do I inject the EDID? All I can find online is that I will need to inject my custom EDID (which I got using SwithcResX or something like that) using an ATIInject.kext. But there seems to be no steps as to how to actually update the ATIInject with the EDID.

Thanks in advance

Xin Li

Hi.. Correction... ATI V5250 FireGL is not ATI 1700X but ATI 1000X... all you need to do is using a hexeditor add the 71d0 something into the binary file of ATI1000XRadeon extensions.. if you need help let me know...  :D

Hi, Thanks for the reply. this problem has been stumping me for a while. Why is the id 71d0? My device and vendor id, according to System Profiler seems to be:

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x210d571

I had thought maybe that was retrieved via hardware. Or is that also just wrong, because the system identified my card wrongly as a X1700?

Do you have any links or simple instructions on which file within the ATIX1000 kext dir I need to edit? I would assume it's /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000

I'm still not sure what to edit exactly with the hex editor. I think I saw a post somewhere about that, but I lost that link during one of my reboots. Any further instructions would be great. Thanks!

After some digging, I found the following post, also on Insanely mac, that looks very promising:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry658782

But I am still parsing through it. I have the 10.5.5 iDeneb, and I don't know what the state of my ATIInject/ATNDRV and ATIRadionX1000.kext are. I've loverlaid so many different attempted fixes. It's a miracle it still boots.

I think I may need to get a fresh start, or some how, without wiping my drive, getting my kext back to the way it was, when it was first installed.

I'm also trying to understand how to inject my EDID into ATIInject. Didn't seem to find any solid instructions for that.

Update on what i've tried. I found and followed these instructions just now, with no luck:

http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-t...00-kext-on.html

I didn't follow the instructions for EDID, just the section on hex editing the ATX1000 drivers. Obviously, as my FireGL 5250 card is not an X1600, my Device ID was different. It was 71D5, so I used that, instead of what was in the instructions. Otherwise, I followed those instructions to the letter.

Unfortunately, it still didn't work. My question is though, is the ATI Inject stuff necessary for QE and CI? or is it just for getting the right resolution? If it's critical to QE and Ci, I can go back to follow that too.

Thanks for everyone's help.