Which version to use?

Heero Yuy

5 posts in this topic

Hello :)

As you can probably guess I am new here. I currently have 10.4.1 installed in VMware and as soon as my MacBook Pro arrives I plan to install OSx86 natively.

However I am not sure weather to stick with 10.4.1 or to use one of the later versions.

I will be running natively on:

Clevo D27ES Laptop

2.0Ghz Pentium Celleron (based on P4) CPU

SIS 650 Motherboard

SIS 650 Chipset (North)

SIS 962/962L Chipset (South)

Onboard Realtek AC97

Realtek 8139 Ethernet

Hitachi DK23DA-20 20GB HD (Tied into Primary Master IDE, 2 partitions, 1 ~3GB Win 2k, 2 ~17GB OSx86)

Toshiba SD-R2212 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Tied into Secondary Master IDE)

D-Link AirPlus 650+ Wireless Card

I will be using VMware to install as I cant use my DVD/CDRW combo drive because of IDE channel problems, basically because its a laptop I cant change what IDE channel its on, and I dont have any jumpers on my HD or anything that I can see. (when I tried to run the installer I got "Still waiting for root devices")

So really I want to use the latest version which will offer me the best hardware support as well as the best software support without osx86 rejecting my machine like its scumm. I am not planning on using the Win2k Instillation I just want it there as a safety net, and plan to just change the active partition to OSx86 so that auto boots when I turn my laptop on. I am rather confused because while the latest versions I would expect would offer better software support, I hear they offer less hardware support and so thats why I thought I would ask about what I should do?

Any advice and help anyone can offer would be greatly appritiated

Many Thanks in advance

Hello :D

As you can probably guess I am new here. I currently have 10.4.1 installed in VMware and as soon as my MacBook Pro arrives I plan to install OSx86 natively.

However I am not sure weather to stick with 10.4.1 or to use one of the later versions.

I will be running natively on:

Clevo D27ES Laptop

2.0Ghz Pentium Celleron (based on P4) CPU

SIS 650 Motherboard & chipset (I think)

Onboard Realtek AC97

Realtek 8139 Ethernet

Hitachi DK23DA-20 20GB HD (Tied into Primary Master IDE, 2 partitions, 1 ~3GB Win 2k, 2 ~17GB OSx86)

Toshiba SD-R2212 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Tied into Secondary Master IDE)

D-Link AirPlus 650+ Wireless Card

I will be using VMware to install as I cant use my DVD/CDRW combo drive because of IDE channel problems, basically because its a laptop I cant change what IDE channel its on, and I dont have any jumpers on my HD or anything that I can see. (when I tried to run the installer I got "Still waiting for root devices")

So really I want to use the latest version which will offer me the best hardware support as well as the best software support without osx86 rejecting my machine like its scumm. I am not planning on using the Win2k Instillation I just want it there as a safety net, and plan to just change the active partition to OSx86 so that auto boots when I turn my laptop on. I am rather confused because while the latest versions I would expect would offer better software support, I hear they offer less hardware support and so thats why I thought I would ask about what I should do?

Any advice and help anyone can offer would be greatly appritiated

Many Thanks in advance

Actually I came in only because I'm intrest in your Name........

Heero Yuy, The guy in Gundam W? :idea:

For install problem, I meet "Still wating for root divice" too....... No ideas yet.....

I have no experience at all with the vmware, but this will be a little bump for you so people who have can give some advice... but really I had this to say:

"SIS 650 Motherboard & chipset (I think)" ::shudders::

:idea:

The guy off Gundam W Yes ;)

SIS Motherboard, Its never let me down... YET but as its a laptop its not like I have much of a choice over it, else I may have changed it. Still its offset by the fact I will have my MBP soon :D.

I do hope someone sees this thread and can answer my questions, cause Im in a real pickle over what to do here. Thanks

Regards